Deere 7 iron II

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anybody demoed or bought one yet? Im debating getting the 727. I also believe it is easy to switch to mulching? Opinions

2. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen them in person but havent used one yet.....key word YET.....:rolleyes: About the mulching, thats only when you get the 7 IRON II MOD Deck, or MULCH ON DEMAND deck. You have a lever you push down and it closes baffles on the underside of the deck for mulching. And when you wanna side discharge just pull the lever up. They look like really good engineered decks as usual but the MOD option is around $800.:waving:

3. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

I am with Willofalltrades- I am looking at purchasing one in the next two weeks and want to know if anyone has bought one yet and if they like.

Will- I am also looking at the 727. I haven't made up my mind between it and the 737 or even the 757 yet- why are you getting the 727 and what advice could you give to someone looking at all three?

Thanks!

4. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

I tested the new deck with the mulch on demand too. Talking about an improvement and the mulch on demand saved me about 30 minutes in blowing time. I thinking of trading in my old 717 and getting a new one just because of this new deck design.

5. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Rodneyskip the main reason the 727 is because of the price. I also like a trim side. On the larger mowers with the 52" deck the trim side is reduced. I also have a 5x8 trailer and a 60" will not fit through. If I could afford it I would get a 737 for the power. The other brands I am comsidering are Exmark and Scag. Mostly for their dealer support. All three have good dealers around here.

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I wonder how Deere is getting the higher blade tip speed? They would have to be changing the deck pulleys to achieve thsi right. Why couldn't you make the older 7 Irons run the same speed?

7. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Mike,

I don't know if they are changing the pulleys or just increasing the rpm's.
    Just a thought that I had last year, I increased the rpm's a little on my 777 and the cut quality was a little better in the tall stuff. I would think that if the pulleys on the 7 Iron II deck are a bigger diameter that they would swap to an older style deck. I am going to my dealer on Friday, I will measure the diameter of a new pulley and let everyone know if they are the same as what I have.

Jason

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats funny.

Deere made theirs spin faster.

And eXmark made theirs spin slower.

9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

And from what I've read, they're both supposed to be improvements!

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I wonder why exmark made theirs spin slower? :confused: