Deere 717A Mulching ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JoeKidd, Oct 30, 2007.

1. JoeKidd

JoeKidd LawnSite Member

I was wondering how this Z would do mulching damp or wet grass. I work at a cemetery and we're leaning towards mulching all the time to reduce clippings covering stones,flowers,etc. We had a demo 717a for a couple days without the mulch kit and it blew through tall wet grass like nothing and hardly ever spit out any clumps. Now I've never mulched before but from what I've read the grass should be dry so I can't imagine even with these 7Iron decks that it will mulch the wet stuff but thought I would ask anyway.

I must say I was impressed with the machine overall except out on the bumpy empty fields. I only go about a buck seventy and I was bouncing out of my seat, but for around the stones at a slower speed it handled pretty slick,and the cut was 1000 times better than the GX335 mowers with fixed decks were running now. Any input would be appreciated.

2. JoeKidd

JoeKidd LawnSite Member

Maybe just going with some gator blades without the mulching kit would be a better option. What do you guys think?

3. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

this mower mulches great.i do 3 cemetery's with mine and love it.doing leafs is great,looks like they were sucked up.yes i do have the full kit and not just the plate to block it off.if you are in real high wet grass you do have to go slow.if its dry it will do even better.on mine i have never had clumps in the wet stuff.it cuts the wet grass so good mulching that you can walk in it and have very little on your boots.

4. JoeKidd

JoeKidd LawnSite Member

Cool thanks for the response Robbo.

But hows the quality of grass in these places you mulch wet? We have very thick healthy grass in our cemetery. I see you're also down south so the grass is a different blend too, I wonder if it would perform as well with our northern type stuff.

5. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i have one that is real nice and it looks great cut wet.i have a few yards that are like carpet and it cuts nice.it will cut weeds nice to.:laugh:

6. duke & sons

duke & sons LawnSite Member

The mulch kit on my 717A has never been off since I bought it. In my area most of our accounts are cut every two weeks. The 717 is an awsome mulcher. I cut in the rain, dew, or dry. It doesn't matter. I have a 737 I discharge and bag with, but the 717 is used on 90% of my accounts. The only time the deck gets packed is in the spring when there are some weedy areas. I use medium lift, mulching, and gator blades. They all do a good job.

a