Deere 737 loses engine with only 650 hours!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jul 24, 2008.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a deere 737 that I purchased brand new, oil has been changed every 25 hours with mobile 1 synthetic. I tried to crank it this morning and it spits sputters and backfires then cranks.

I noticed right off the bat that is was running badly, like on one cylinder. I'm thinking, gee, yesterday my BP blower and hedge clippers tore up, wtf else can go wrong.

I drive 30 miles to the dealer to be greeted by a a@@hole tech that starts telling me that I put in the wrong oil should have been serviced more often, bla bla. I tell the jerk there is no one any ticker than me about taking care of their equipment.

First he changes the oil, then the plugs and fuel filter. Fires it up then tells me it sound's find, I tell him no it does not sound find. He reaches behind engine and unplugs the right plug wire, nothing changes, unplug the left one and it dies instantly,

Oh, he says, its the coil (my thoughts from the beginning). Tells me to leave it with him. Get a call just few minutes ago and they had the firing problem fixed but had to pull the heads and found bent push rods and messed up valves.

Was going to call me back when checking it further, I don't trust these jerks no farther that I can see them, thinking about just going and picking it up if I can get it back on the trailor. Am waiting to see what they call back and say.

They may be telling the truth but I feel like they are trying to hang it to me. I can't believe this engine only lasted 650 friggin hours!! If it is the engine there will be no more kaw. engines for me. And to top it off came back to get my exmark and the deck belt broke on it on the same yard I started on with the deere so I said the h*ll with it and came home!:realmad:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh deer, not again.

It has been my experience there are certain corporations in this world who think their poop don't stink,
    which is basically fine by me except when something goes wrong it's this thing about it certainly could
    NOT be their product, and it must be the operator's error, and so on.

As for myself, I'm not saying operators don't have a way of bringing in a machine with every
    possible defect assuming it is automatically under warranty either. Certainly there are more
    than a few (guilty) who, just like JD, assume it's the other's problem.

With all due respect I find 650 hours a fair to considerable amount, one should not assume this
    to be low hours. But for this to work both parties should try to keep an open mind, and mistakes
    are allowed but it is when either party makes this assumption more often than not that I tend to
    lose all interest.

It is also my belief this corporation is one of them that is like that and their dealers share the
    attitude, and I would gladly be wrong in this regard but hours and specifics aside this is the
    reason I have never owned a JD product that I remember.

Peace

3. StumpZ

StumpZ LawnSite Member

Low hours or not, if my mower lost an engine at 650 hours I would be upset.

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

why do you change oil every 25hrs? my kawi's say every 50 & filters every 100.how old is the mower?? 2 year engine warrentee??

for years ive been saying a good dealer is better than any brand machine. they will get it fixed fast, and if the thing is newer, they will find a way to warrentee it....at least mine will

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Only problem here is its a Deere. So the engine warranty is through Deere. You cant just take it to a Kawasaki dealer and have them cover the warranty. You are stuck with Deere on that one.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

Oh, forgot to add, the machine is out of warranty. It was 4 years old last month. Thats right, I put around 175 hours per year on it, thats how many accounts I have:laugh:

7. QualityLawnCare4u

Well, dealer just called me back and to fix it will be around 900 bucks:cry:New heads, valves, push rods and numerous other things., That will wipe out one client (amount I make) for a season!

8. Stathem Lawncare

Stathem Lawncare LawnSite Member

I have a 757 with a kawasaki and its still under warrenty, but kawasaki is having problem with certain engines. Mine is waiting on new engine with 680 hours on it. My engine wont be shipped until Aug 18. so they are putting mine back together for the mean time. I have a great dealer to deal with though.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Shoot...

Depending entirely on shaft size and brand preference now, but for that kind of money you can almost get a brand new Kohler 25hp, DIY thou. I'm looking at a price list ranging anywhere from 799 to 2000... Which that's another bit I don't get, but the most common ones appear to be the 1" x 3 5/32" Shaft Twin vertical running a grand.

10. ambersLawnmowing

ambersLawnmowing LawnSite Senior Member

Just went through something similar. I use mobil one all the time, but you must charge alot more then me to change out mobil one @ 25 hours. man i change mine 1 time per month but i have 75-80 hours on it, then it goes into the truck..LOL anyway my John Deere dealer contacted there home office because mine blew hard with 246 for hours. They blamed the mobil one on it.. Really the number one oil in the country is the reason my motor blew up!!!!!! after ALOT ALOT ALOT of b*tching and calling mobil oil company deere finally gave me a new engine, then i screwed them and traded it in..LOL i will never tell anyone that i use mobil one from now one at the deere dealer...

Good luck with the idoits at the dealer.