Deere 970a vs Exmark 72 X 999 Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Tried the new Exmark today. It had an Awsome seat but hydro's are jerky hard to control, it was clumping up the grass, rode rough, deck scalped. I'll stay deere!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Could you give a little more info? Like what exactly the hyrdo's felt like compared to your Deere. Were the scalp wheels adjusted correctly? I already know about the clumping LOL

BTW- I ride green too.:usflag:

3. luckylawnboy

I have pics but guess you can't post from your phone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Pics are always a plus, but just describe how the hydro's felt to you. I've looked at them a few times, but I just can't get past the clumping when wet issue. Still, I like to be well informed by those who've run them whenever possible.

5. luckylawnboy

Notchy sensitive there was no Smoothness to them at all. I was looking for a smoother ride on my next 72 but honesty Exmark rides rougher. Plus the rear tire to tire is small and the deck overhang scalps a lot. It was slightly damp still and I was gonna have to double cut due to the Exmark not dispersing the clippings as well as deere. It cut great just to many clumps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. luckylawnboy

[​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. luckylawnboy

[​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

How much were you taking off there? That's some nice green, thick grass. It's hard to believe it can look that good after the summer we've had.

9. luckylawnboy

[​IMG]

Taking off good 5 inches cutting every 5 days to keep up. There was some dead grass from last cutting. Exmark had more vacume but less thrust coming out.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. 290

290 LawnSite Member

When going from a JD to any other mower the controls always going to be jerky because JD uses a single unit to control both sides where all others use a dedicated setup. I went the other way and thought JDs were spongy compared to everything else id driven (Dixie bunton exmark bobcat)