Deere 970a vs Exmark 72 X 999 Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Sep 18, 2012.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

900 deere have a pump and wheel motor combined one on each side. I change the filter ever year. The old 797 had the dual pump in one unit connected to 2 sepreate wheel motors. 900 series rock in my opinion
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 290

290 LawnSite Member

That's what I hear

3. luckylawnboy

I'd like to try a Dixie Chopper but they don't offer a 72 any more. I'm not sold on the 74 as it won't match up to other 72 stripes. I used to use Dixie but other machines got far better! I miss the wide rear stance of Dixie!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Yea, the old 72" DC's had their rear wheels in different area codes:laugh:

5. 290

290 LawnSite Member

Same here. Dixie was the first mower I used back in the 90s. I still see some people using them I wonder how they cut today.

6. luckylawnboy

Same here but who wants a 66 or a 74. The guy who made those deck sizes should get fired!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. 290

290 LawnSite Member

exmark did that crap with the triton deck. What's funny is people couldn't buy the 66s because their trailers were only wide enough for a 60. Why would you alienate your customers over 6in?

8. 290

290 LawnSite Member

most of them ended up in the rental/loaner dept at the shop I worked and when it didn't fit the trailer we had to scramble to find a 60 or hobble one together for them

9. luckylawnboy

[​IMG]

Found this pic from 3 seasons ago first or second cut with old 777 deere 72
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. dtc0207

dtc0207 LawnSite Member

If you care about ride and cut then ferris is it period. I know a lot of people are scared of them because of their old decks but if you took all the names off and painted all the machines the same color I would bet 9 out 10 people would chose the Ferris
    Posted via Mobile Device