Deere at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Jan 14, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Todays the first time that I've seen a John Deere tractor at Home Depot. It was an L100. I've seen the push mowers before, but never a tractor. That sucks for the John Deere dealer, 1 mile down the road.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob,
    Deere has been @ home depot for a while but, not in the deere name they make scotts mowers but just put scotts name on them.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The above statement is correct. I have a few neighbors that have purchased from the Home Depot and everything is fine until they need service work done. The local Deere dealer tells them he is not interested in working on equipment that he did sell. I would think he would be all over this as Home Depot doesn't have the ability to service anything so he could make some money here.

Gravely_Man

4. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Well thats not true about service. I know cause i work at depot in the garden dept. we can help with service. If its still under warranty and covered by the warranty we'll send it out for repair which sucks casue it takes a while! for free
    but if it is not under warranty you have to pay an arm and a leg for it

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

there are crates of new deeres in front of my home depot, i guess sh*t happen's sooner or later...:)

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I can't see why a manufacturer as well-known as Deere would undermine their dealer network? What do they have to gain other than exposure to the general public? And at the expense of getting the local Deere dealer then not wanting to do any service work on equipment he didn't sell personally.

Dunno...doesn't make sense (cents too) to me:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

SpudsM15 I said that Home Depot doesn't do warranty work and you confirmed that "Well thats not true about service." You just send it out. That is what I am talking about. Home Depot doesn't perform warranty work and the local Deere dealer doesn't want to touch it, as he didn't sell it. Where are we not seeing eye to eye on this issue?

Gravely_Man

8. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

home depot has sold push mowers for a couple of years.i've bought 2,there junk,but i have had good service from the store.i've took each mower back once,they supplied me a loaner both times,once a honda,once a toro.the store took care of me.

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Deere has been @ home depot for a while but, not in the deere name they make scotts mowers but just put scotts name on them.

Same with the line of Sabre mowers, which I believe was discontinued. It's all about market share.

I can't see why a manufacturer as well-known as Deere would undermine their dealer network?

Actually, JD's complaint is with the dealer network. The dealers have been prima donnas and are hurting the JD market share. What JD want is to get back some of the residential market lost to the dealers who jack up prices on mowers and service because "you're getting a Deere". The dealers have cut their own throats, here.

I know when I've priced JD equipment, that attitude is exactly what I've seen every time. They act as if every other brand is inferior if it isn't green, and try to use that to justify an inflated price. Every person on this board should know better than that.

If its still under warranty and covered by the warranty we'll send it out for repair which sucks casue it takes a while!

Like Gravely said, HD does not do service. They "arrange" for somebody to do it and act as a middle man. All this does is cost more, make it take longer, and add places for problems to occur. Tell me how that can be a good thing, especially for a solo commercial cutter. Could you be without the major income producing piece of gear for 3-4 weeks? I can't.

Guys, this is an industry trend you see beginning. After talking with several reps at Louisville last summer, they all say we can expect more of this. The only way to defeat this is by not buying equipment from this type of retailer. This will get JD and anybody else who goes this route to go back to servicing dealers. Homeowners will buy out of brand loyalty and price, but it won't take them long to figure out that they can get 3 mowers at WalMart for the price of one of these, and that market will dry up also.

When we (commercial users) get taken in by a bad dealer, we need to document things and get the manufacturer involved. We have no real alternative other than having multiple pieces of equipment, driving up overhead, and I don't want to do that.

10. digger1

digger1 LawnSite Member

IMO all of you guys have valid points. What I believe you are missing is what is referred to as "the bottom line". John Deere is a publicly traded stock company and has shareholders. In order for a large company (like JD or anyone else) to look attractive to both current and potential stock holders, they need to have a strong showing in their market. First thing anyone looks at when buying stock is how well the company is doing financially.
    How do you make money? Volume, volume, volume. JD is looking to increase their sales in order to increase their revenue and persuade you and I to buy their stock.
    Yes, the dealers have over-inflated their prices but should also be happy more tractors are going into the market place. Why? This will increase their service dept. revenues. Given the condition of our economy, any person that owns his own business that sells and services his products will tell you that the "service dept." will help carry them through a rough economy when sales are down.
    I am also sure that JD watches Home Depot pricing structure very closely also. They would not take on HD without stipulating a "low price" limit (HD carries Echo products but they are not a whole lot cheaper than a lawn equipment dealer).
    Anyway, just my five cents worth.