Deere can't get carb rebuild kit for BP50!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pecker, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Lemme begin by saying I've been a Deere fan all my life. I have invested thousands into Deere equipment and have a trailer full of commercial green and yellow, literally. My intent is not to shoot Deere down as I know they have gotten some bad publicity here recently (seemingly from the posts I've read, even legitmate). I feel that posting this is an effective means to illuminate the problem and bring about change, which will help Deere be the company it is supposed to be. I remain proud, but am growing increasingly concerned and now impatient.

My case: BP50 backpack blower (Kawi engine) needs a carb rebuild kit. About three weeks ago my Deere dealer ordered it. . .cannot get it. . .still on backorder from the distributor (I am told not the "Deere" distributor/having to get part from alternate distributor for whatever reason) as of today. Its been long enough. I've been using a HH blower since my BP when down, which sucks when I own a BP blower that I can't use because Deere doesn't have their game together. My only choice is to buy a whole new carb for $99 or replace the unit when a $10 rebuild kit is all I need!:realmad:

My point: this is not why I have payed top-dollar and stayed loyal to Deere, a company that has built its legacy on reliable products and great customer service. BTW, my Deere dealer is "excellent" and I realize this is not their fault. They have always been great and gone above the call of duty to keep me running. However, this is obviously out of their hands.

I'm the customer and I don't care who the kit has to come from, it shouldn't have taken more than a day. It is up to Deere to see that it is available. I would be more understanding if I were asking for some part from 40 years ago or if they had to go to Mars to get it or something. All I need is a simple carb rebuild kit.:blob1:

PS If anyone knows where I can get a rebuild kit please let me know.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I believe J-Thomas has it. If they don't I'd be glad to see if I can get you one from the 2 JD dealers I use. Let me know.

3. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i cant find my j-thomas catalog but it should be a standared carb that you could get parts for from them.

4. Pecker

Thanks for the input/offer guys. I had tried Stens online but couldn't find one. Here's what I found at the J-Thomas website:
    http://www.j-thomas.com/Catalog/253.htm

2 things: the Kawasaki units don't appear to offer the carb rebuild kit. Also, the new carb is going to cost me $99 when the most expensive one I see for any on the link are no more than $56 until you get to the Kawi, which is what's on my BP50. Hmm. . .

Let me add also, I have had a Kawasaki dirtbike and two Kawi atv's and I have LOVED them all. Easiest-starting, best-running engines I've ever owned. Stands true also on my JD 757 and even this blower (started 3rd pull cold, 1st pull hot and ran very smoothly) until it started fouling plugs and I saw gas leaking from the carb (the reason I need to rebuild the carb). I really hate to see the trend I am starting to see on this one issue (lack of parts from dealer and J-Thomas).

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey call J-Thomas they have much more than whats listed on their website and catalog. If that doesn't work have your dealer try to order directly from the Milan, Illinois distribution center, they will have it. If he can't I'll see if my dealer either has one in stock or I'll have them order me one and i'll ship it to you. Should only take 3 days to get it to you, Deere gets parts to me in 1 day.

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

go to your local lesco dealer they can get it for you in one day. I got one this year it cost me 62.0

7. Pecker

Thanks for all the help. Its good to know there are guys like ya'll out there. I may have messed up because I told the dealer eariler today to order me the carb since they said they could have it here by tommorow and I'd really like to have it working by Thursday. But I had already looked at J-Thomas and Stens online when I made that decision. I didn't think to call them. I wish I had posted this before today. . .good ideas from ya'll. I'll call J-Thomas and Lesco tomorrow and see what they say. If they can get the kit, and for some reason the carb doesn't make it in to the dealer tomorrow, I'll take that route.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Even if J-Thomas has the rebuild kit, order it. Your JD shouldn't mind if you don't need the carb cause they can just send it back but more than likely it will go into their stock. They should have the rebuild kit in their inventory anyway.

9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

kaw doesn't make rebuild kits but you can order the parts for a rebuild

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki uses either a Walbro, Tillotson, or Zama carb, which you can get rebuild kits for at pretty much any place in the world.