Deere D-Series SSL's and CTL's are on the website now!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Boss Exc., Dec 19, 2009.

1. Boss Exc.

Boss Exc. LawnSite Member

2. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't really had too much of a chance to look over them, but the first thing that comes to mind is that the 333D is over 11,000lbs, and squeezes 89 net hp out of a 3.1L engine. That engine is 6% smaller than CAT's 299C and puts out 1hp less and weighs about 500lbs more. I wonder what the engine toque is since Deere does not publish it? CAT's 299C puts out 217ft lbs out of their 3.3L engine.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Someone want to explain tractive effort? I wish there were a better way to quantify how much a machine is able to push. There's no standard here!

(Anyone from SAE or ISO reading this?)

More questions...

On the SSL brochure, the tipping load is listed as being 6,400 lbs with counterweight for the 332D. That means that the ROC should be 3200 with counterweights, yet this is not stated (there is no asterisk).

Why does the 318D have more tractive effort than the 320D (smaller tires? Maybe?)?

Why does the 332D have less ground clearance than the 328D?

They look nice. Wonder how Cat will respond.

4. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

The reason the 328 has more ground clearance than a 332 is cause the 332 has the extra weight of the machine in its belly, hence the ground clearance differance, other the that they are the same machine, with just more HP

5. 93turbo

93turbo LawnSite Senior Member

I beleive tractive effort is the measure of how much weight something can move while still being efficient. On tractors it was how much weight you could pull with out excessive wheel slip on a skid I have no idea how they would measuer that

6. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

Er, I hate to say it, but this isn't too likely... the 332D weighs only 160 pounds more (8560 vs 8400) than the 328D. If this were the case, then Bobcat's S220 would have 8"; the S250, 7"; and the S300, 6". (It was a good idea, so I went to check to see if the numbers seemed to work.)

I suspect the difference is that the 332D uses a larger motor and perhaps heavier chains, which requires lowering the belly pan to fit it all in. But I just wanted to verify (I think the 332 had less ground clearance than the 328, too).

That's drawpar pull, yeah. I suppose they could do this but don't because SSLs aren't used for pulling implements; it'd just make reading specs a whole lot more meaningful if all manufacturers reported the same test procedure. :rolleyes:

7. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

Excellent question. Both the 329 and the 333 both show 11,500lbs of "tractive effort". Based on this I have to assume that it can't be too closely tied to hp since the 329 has about 10% less hp than the 333. They are very close in operating weight and basically appear to be the same machine with the exception of the engine hp, hyd. flows (slight diff.) and ROCs.

8. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Would that be the same for the 329D and the 333D too?

9. Tigerotor77W

from Germany

I misread your response -- I thought you just meant that the 332D weighed more and thus would squash the tires. I didn't realize you meant the belly was physically lower to accommodate the extra weight [panels].

10. Skidsteerman

Skidsteerman LawnSite Senior Member

Some units a set of rear weights are STD. Then additional optional bolt on stackable weights can be added. The new rear weights are bolt on units Vs the old design which were suit case weights. Another change is now Deere is offering rear weights for their CTLs.

10x16.5 on the 318D and 12X16.5 on the 320D. You can order the 320D in 10X16.5 but this will slow the ground speed down some.

326D, 328D are probably the same chassis were as the 332D is it's own chassis like before.

This is the first Electronic fuel injection diesel engine in the compact construction equipment line up offered. Not aware of anyone else offering this yet. This will control performance much different the the mechanical fuel system can. Governor response will be immediate Vs. lag time mechanical systems. This is one of the reasons Deere can offer the auto idle feature. This will allow the fuel injectors to respond quicker when the engine is put under load. My though is this should also help with the fuel economy as well.