deere dealer service???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcgreenspro, Apr 28, 2008.

1. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

I took my Deere in for a fall "checkup" last Nov. Was missing two bolts (I already bought them) and need them put on along with oil change, hydraulic change and a couple of other things that were covered in the special running around here for 220.00. They told me might take the mechanic a half hour to get the bolts on.
    Mower was suppose to take 3 days. A week later and many phone calls, I go to pick up the mower and they and me a bill for 550.00. Now, I am a pretty reasonable person when it comes to service bills but to get charged more than double was the final straw. I lost my mind screaming. They get the manager and he is useless. I walk to get my salesman (great guy, always helpful) and he is baffled as well.
    To make a long story short, I really liked having this mower, worked great and I could always get help from the salesman but the service was absolutely terrible.
    It just goes to show you guys, make sure you either service the mower yourself or have someone reliable because bad service can really hurt a business.
  2. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

Mowers and Tractors are good.
    Parts are over priced (Deere make's their OEM only available through them, good luck crossing a seal or a belt!).
    My experience, their service department is very unexperienced and still charges "by the hour", taking their unexperienced mechanics twice as long as it should, therefore causing service to be over priced.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think $330 for 1/2 hour labor to install 2 bolts in out of line. It's crazy.
  4. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

What exactly did they do to your mower? In my experience, that type of deal you mentioned is usually only offered in the spring time, not in the fall. And it doesn't usually include hydro fluid change. Sounds to me like you simply weren't paying attention when you signed the work order.
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I (and many others I know) drive approximately 50 miles north of Raleigh for this very same reason. The local dealership is pretty darn big and unless you're buying something from them, you should feel priviledged they allow you to speak with them.
  6. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

yeah, that is the same feeling i got from the mechanic. And jaun deere, it was all in order. I was expecting a bill around 300-320. The mechanic even said it wouldn't take him long at all.
    I was getting everything taken care of on the mower to sell because I needed something a little bit bigger to handle some of the accounts I picked up at the end of last year.
  7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

That postcard said no fluids are included also only sharpening of blades in the fine print
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

John Deere is very smart. They do make it hard to not use OEM parts for a reason. They are in this to make money. I have always felt this way and I'm glad you verified it. Great product but they have it fixed to where your at their mercy on repairs. I would say though there are good dealerships and bad as with most other brands.