Deere/Hitachi 50 ZTS Mini/Starter Removal?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Farmtime, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Farmtime

Farmtime LawnSite Member
    from WA

Want to remove Starter from 2001 Deere 50 ZTS Mini X.

Can access the bolt at the 4 O'clock position from under.

Removed Seat and Base and trying to use 15" extension through the access panel for the alternator, to gain access to the hold down bolt in the 10 O'clock position. Man, it's a tight fit and blind. I think it's a two person exercise?

Has anyone had better luck than me?

I'm about to cut an inspection hole so I can get at it by myself.

Thanks kindly for any suggestions.

Deere Dealer has not been all that helpful, simply because they never had to replace one. The manual is no help.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I see your seeing the negative side about no tail swing excavators they are a pain in the azz to work on. Have you tried a gear wrench with a flexable head they have saved my butt on some jobs. They are a combination wrench with a ratcheting box end. They come in fullsize and stubby standard and metric. Also another option is try break the bolt loose then use a 1/4 inch drive socket.

There has been stuff I worked on that you can't see the bolts its all you can do is feel it even with a mirror you can't see it. With a starter I usually like to put a rope around it and tie the end of the rope tight to something above the starter to keep it from dropping. I have put big 24 volt starters in myself this way it works.

The hardest part of changing a starter is getting the d*mn trigger wire on and off those little nuts are a pain.

Good Luck you will eventually get it done :laugh:

On edit I have gone to the corner store and bought myself a pack of gum something like bazooka put a couple pieces in my mouth chewed it up then stuck it in the end of the socket to hold the bolt or nuts.
  3. Farmtime

Farmtime LawnSite Member
    from WA

Gravel Rat,

Appreciate the Moral Support and Ideas.

I'm going to use a flex drive on a 17MM socket with 3/8 x15" Extention. Ultimately I believe I'm going to have to cut a permenate access in the fiberglass bulkhead or get the assistance of another pair of hands.

I'm over next week to the Farm. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks Kindly, Farmtime.
  4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You may call and speak to JD mechanic that works on them. They may have a super secrete method. Also I would ask for a price quote on having the starter removed at the dealership before you start cutting on the machine. It was surely designed to be accessed without cutting on the machine. The depreciation costs associated with cutting on it may outweigh the cost of having it done at the dealership. Just a thought.
  5. Farmtime

Farmtime LawnSite Member
    from WA

I'm on an Island in the sticks. Unfortunately the Machine just came back from the shop, where it had a thumb installed. It's difficult and expensive getting back and forth.

Appreciate your helpful comments.

6. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Farmtime,I have a 35c deere mini-x,Is your machine a cab machine.You can take the grey fiberglass panel in the back of the cab to get at the back of the engine.What island are you on and what deere dealer do you deal with.

7. Farmtime

Farmtime LawnSite Member
    from WA

Yes it does have a Cab. Taking the Cab and the bulkhead off is an option, but a ton of work from the stand point it requires the sheet metal work on the right side to be removed as well.

I think the the houdini task of using an extention, blind is the next effort.

Thank you, Farmtime.

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

I will check with my man in the shop. We have not ever had to work on a 50 but maybe a 35. Can you get me the serial number so I can get exact model and I can do a D-Tac case with Deere and get instructions for you.:)
  9. Farmtime

Farmtime LawnSite Member
    from WA

2001 JD 50 ZTS

Serial Number FF050ZX2400324

Thanks Kindly for any info.

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

I will do D-Tac case early in the morning and should have info for you no later than noon central time. I have been slamed all day. Thanks