1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deere JX75 (or 85) or Exmark 21?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spobubba, May 1, 2003.

1. spobubba

spobubba LawnSite Member

Looking at both of these mowers. My dealer has one JX85 left. May pick it up tonight. But started to read alot about the Exmark Metro 21 as a possible alternative. From th ecomments on this forum, I can see that many people are very happy w/ the JX 75 mower.

Anybody have experience w/ the Exmark metro 21? From what I've heard it may mulch a little better that the JD. I assume that it is an excelent bagger.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Think the little exmark Has a Blade speed Of 18000 Fpm. that will Mulch Your Grass! But Look at it On There web.
  3. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

Grab that 85 and run with it. they're the best 21 out there right now.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The JX 85 was discontinued last year. I am not sure what the warranty is on them now. The JX 75 is still available at an increased price, and the warranty has been reduced to just 90 days.
    I hated to see this happen as I have used the 85 and 75 machines for many years. Just sold of my last three and bought 3 Exmark Metro 21's. They have the same ,(for now), Kawasaki engine that is on the JD machines.
    BTW, JD made these moves ,as warranty work on the blade clutch was causing them to lose money on those two machines. My inside contact at JD said he has not heard of any replacement in the works for the commercial JX85.:(
  5. spobubba

spobubba LawnSite Member

Picked up the JX75 last night for about $750. Dealer claims there is a 2 year warranty. I better confirm that the warranty covers the bbc. I just thought it was a better deal then the metro which around here goes for $1,100.
  6. spobubba

spobubba LawnSite Member

I'm going to confirm the warranty of the bbc when I pick it up. If its only 90 days. I won't get it. And will probably look at the Exmark. Have you used the exmarks? Are they good mowers? For the price they should be.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bet that warranty is only on the engine. My contact at JD and my dealer say 90 days on the mower. The old warranty was one year on the mower and 2 years on the engine.
    Now that I have got used to the Exmarks, I really like them. I do miss the blade clutch, as you could stop to pick up trash without killing the engine. However, we have added a loop of wire on the handle . If we want to disengage the travel, but not stop the engine, we just slip the wire loop up onto the travel handle and it holds the handle in the neutral position without killing the engine.
    Of course, the blades will still be turning. All in all, I, and my helpers, really like the Exmarks.:D