Deere LX188 Broken Hood

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jud149, Feb 22, 2007.

1. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

The plastiic hood on my Deere has decided to crack right in the middle running half way up the top side from the bottom. Deere wants over $500 for what I need. Does anyone know if this plastic can be repaired as I'm sure in time it will split all the way up and open like an egg shell.

2. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a thought. Remove hood and drill a small (1/8th " ) hole at the end of the crack.That will keep the crack from spreading further. Go to auto parts store and get plastic repair kit that includes cheese cloth. I can't give the exact name off the top of my head but this is a 2-part epoxy that gets extremely hot when mixed . Follow the directions and have everything ready to apply before mixing as this stuff sets very fast.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with FIXDISS....

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

2 solutions: Go to Harbor Freight and get a plastic welder and learn to weld plastic. Go to another brand and buy something good.

5. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips...we'll try the epoxy first.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Theese are good mowers.......to show how much you know about them.....this mower has some age on it .....this number series was changed a while back..........I have one and its a 1995 model.

wayne