Deere MOD deck opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am currious what people's experience is with the MOD deck. I would like to know who it mulches, how it disharges compared to the 7 iron II, and how it is maintenance wise.

Thanks

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 757 with a MOD deck for six weeks this summer. You can read all about it in the October field test in Turf Magazine.

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I demoed a 757 60" MOD for 2 days and here is what I liked and didn't like.

Liked: Great on hills up or down.
    Loved the deck height adjustment knob.
    Liked the cut while in side discharge or mulching.
    Loved the MOD option every dealer should look into this.

Biggest problem : The mower would not hide the clippings even double cutting. I would mulch on the 1st pass and it would leave a small windrow
    on the right side. So I changed it to side discharge and crosscut it, but it would not blow out the clippings. The blades on it must have been for mulching. I asked about blade options and the dealer did not know what to suggest. So I gave it back and thanked them and bought the Super Z.

4. par69

par69 LawnSite Member

I have a 757 60" MOD. I mulch everything. If it is wet, I mow it once and go to another area to mow. Then I come back and run over the clumbs if any. They disapper. I did have to adjust the linkage so it didn't leave the little wind row, it helped a lot. I open it up around the grass one trip so it doesn't throw the grass in the beds and cement areas. I love it. I did have a Fasttrak but the John Deere is a much better mower.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Not being sarcastic but it seems to be rare for a company that can get a mower deck to do one thing right, let alone two (mulch and discharge). Hearing great things about the 7 iron II but this deck seems like a trade off as Envy said. But I've never been on one but the fewer moving parts the better for me.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I wonder if they put the wrong blades on the 1 I demoed. I could not get rid of that windrow in 2 passes. Was the linkage not closing the flaps to mulch all the way ?

7. Throgmorton

Throgmorton LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 MOD. It was one of the first MOD's. After about 200 hrs the linkage on the opening and closing of baffles started wearing and I could not keep the door on the dischage open enough for the good cliiping dispersal. I finallly got tired of this and bolted the baffles and door shut and I use mulching blades. Now I mulch everything. It mulches great. It will mulch wet grass like a dream with no clogging. I would not buy another MOD as of now. I am thinking about buying a 777 60" and a 717 with a mulch kit for the perfect set-up. My 757 will hold hills really well.

8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I demo'ed a 2006 757 60"MOD earlier this year and really didnt like it due to the clipping dispersal. JMO

9. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Nice equipment list. How do you like the 997? Does the roll bar give you any problems?:usflag: