Deere Mulching Kits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JDeere Fan, Mar 31, 2005.

1. JDeere Fan

JDeere Fan LawnSite Member

Anyone have any experience with the JD Mulching kits for the 7 iron decks? I have a 7H17 Walkbehind and was thinking about one of these, or just sticking with Gator Blades? Is it better to have the baffle with the JD Kit or use Gators and no baffle? What are you using on your 7 iron Decks?

2. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

i use my mulch kit and its a pain in the azz to put on and take off. If you can do it without one thats great. I have not used Gators ever.

3. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I just ordered one for my 737. I hope it works! The side discharge is just to messy.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am running gators on my 667 and am happy with the cut. Lets be honest here, the stock curvy high lifts that came with the mower absolutely suck.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My 717 has the mulching kit and it is the best 110 bucks I ever spent! I run gators with it and it makes every yard looked like it has been vacumed. The down side is its is NOT a 5 minute job to take on and off and it will bog down in extemely wet or tall grass.

6. JDeere Fan

Do you have the discharge blocked or not? If you don't do the clippings still discharge?

7. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You can block the discharge but the way the deck is setup, it wants to blow the clippings out the side so if you block the discharge it ends up makeing a line of clumps on the lawn. If you going along a landscape bed or something I would close the discharge and just use a blower to break up the clumps.

So to answer you question I run mine with an open discharge and you will still get clippings that are discharged just not as large of ones.

Like others I have heard say, running gators with a mulch kit is great. I however have not tried running both yet.

8. JDeere Fan

Wow, I put the mulch kit on last night... What a pain in the butt. I hope it works well! Ended up just putting on the Deere mulch blades but will probably go to gators before too long!

9. topcat

topcat LawnSite Member
    from Bflo

When I need to discharge clippings I take the mulch kit blocker plate off and just the baffle half that is nearest the discharge opening only. Leave the other baffle on - makes conversion from mulching to discharge alot easier and quicker. I run my 737 up the trailer ramp and let the front wheel overhang off the side to make getting under the deck and working on the mulch kit bolts easier - takes about 10 - 15 minutes to put on or take off.