Deere QuikTrak tire upgrade

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Alta Lawn Care, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Alta Lawn Care

Alta Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I'm considering replacing my worn turf tires with tractor-type tires like those on Dixie Choppers. I'm thinking they will be less likely to spin and damage the turf. Also, I'm thinking they will hold the hills better. Any recommendations on tires for a QuikTrak (and possibly) a supplier?

Also, the new QuikTrak has bigger tires than mine (I have an older model). I asked my dealer if mine could be switched for the bigger ones. He said, "Sure, but you won't like the cut." I'm wondering if with some adjustments to the deck, he could be wrong. Any thoughts?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What is your current tire size?

20x10-8 ?

3. Alta Lawn Care

Yes. The tires are 20 x 10-8. The new model uses 20 x 10-10 tires.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the new tires are basically the same size.
    The difference is that the new rim is larger.

Forget about those and stick with the 8" rims.

You have sooooo many more tire choices with 8" rims.
    Every turf tire is available in 20x10-8.
    Plus you can get tractor treads in 20x10-8, 21x11-8, etc...

But the big bonus to me is that there are a blue million ATV tire tread patterns to choose from also... 20x10-8, 20x11-8, etc...

Look at all your options, but PHYSICALLY measure your current tires and clearances, and when you select a new tire type PHYSICALLY measure it also because the size on the sidewall means little. You'll find out what I mean when you measure.

5. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Try HDAP (heavy duty all purpose) tires through cedarrapidstire.com I forget who makes them, but they are a cross between an ATV tire and an ag tire. They are the same tires as on some of the JD garden tractors accept the name on the side is different and the price is much lower than at a JD dealer. They show pictures of the tread on their website. These tires still could tear up the grass if the lawn is freshly wet and you are not carefull. But they would be easier on the turf than a true ag/superlug tire.

6. Alta Lawn Care

Thanks for the advice, Envy and Tinkerer. I'll check out the tires you mentioned, Tinkerer.