Deere SX95 / Kawasaki 12.5 hp starting problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Geets, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Geets

Geets LawnSite Member

Hi I have a Deere SX95 with a 12.5 hp Kawasaki motor. It hasn't been started in two years. I can only get it to start for a few seconds by squirting some starting fluid into the carb and then she stalls. Any suggestions? I was going to start by changing the little inline plastic which I think is the fuel filter and go from there. Just wondering what else I should try after that.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Steve, I believe since this unit has sat so long you should go right to the carb.

Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then blow it out with compressed air if available then re-assemble, Clean the fuel tank and flush/replace the fuel hose and install a new fuel filter.

Just in case you need it, But you don't have to strip it as far as the picture just enough to get to all the jets and passages;

[​IMG]

3. Geets

Geets LawnSite Member

Restrorob, Thank you so much. That was the problem, I changed the fuel lines, drained the tank and cleaned all the openings in the carb. She started up on the first try and idled like she was brand new!! I didn't even have to make any adjustments to the carb.

Thanks again.

Steve

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Good deal Steve......[​IMG]