Deere trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KS_Grasscutter, Feb 10, 2007.

1. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Well, the time has come that I want to add another trimmer. Currently run a mid 90s Deere straight shaft, one of their high end models at the time. Are the new Deere's as good as the old ones? Or should I just stick with my original plan to get a Echo SRM 230?

2. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i have a newer deere and an echo. i got the echo because the dealer is so good to work with. deere makes a good strong trimmer, but so does echo. so i went with the echo as a second unit. i have the split boom shaft, and almost every attachment, and i love it.

i like the deere trimmer heads better, the new style is easier to load, and has a metal renforcement to make the spool last longer, and also the spool is split into 2 sections to help the string unload better, but echo may have that feature now.

all and all, both are good. but my echo dealer drove to my job to help with a broken trimmer, i don't forsee my deere dealer doing that.....

3. jinx 88

jinx 88 LawnSite Member
    from ozarks

I have a echo 210 230 and a 261t, I would reccomend the 261t it has more power and about the same weight as the 230.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i didn't think deere made their own 2 cycle stuff. i looked at some at a dealer here a few years ago and i can't for the life of me think who they said made it (robin?)

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the Echo 261T unless it is too heavy for you......this model has monster torque for the size engine. It is still a straight 2 stroke and is very easy to work on and to do maintenance. There is nothing wrong with the 230 but it is a little lighter and probably won't quite last as long but we got one and it is doing just fine.

6. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

John Deere Has The XT Series Trimmers That Are Manufactured By
    Mitsubishi(They Call The Engines The M-Series).The Residential Stuff,
    (Box Store Quality)I'm Not Sure If Mitsubishi Makes That.

7. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

I had a mid 90's xt140, and loved it.
    I bought a new version xt140 in 2005. It vibrated way too much.
    The dealer took it back and gave me a new one. It vibrated too. Not as bad, but enough that I didn't want it, so I gave it away, and bought Stihl's fs110. love them.