deere v. echo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsu03, Mar 16, 2008.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

as far as edgers, trimmers and blowers, how do the two face off?

looking to spend:

Trimmer- $300
    Edger- $340
    Blower- $220

2. FromtheGroundUp

FromtheGroundUp LawnSite Member

dont waste money on semi-comercial products
    i recommend kawasaki trimmers
    shindiawa blowers

3. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

How is echo a SEMI COMMERCIAL product?? they are great machines. and John deere are great also

4. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not see either one used around here but both are reputable products. I beleve deere still uses mitsubihshi engines on there's and echo makes there own!

5. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Someone here claimed Deere hand held is actually Kawasaki!!!! Don't know it is true.

John Deere have very bad reliability report on mowers according to Consummer Report. Don't jump on me, jump on them.

Echo have proven to be very good with the old Tornado engine. Don't know about the new single ring Vortex engine. Only time will tell. I would definitely choose Echo with Tornado engine over Deere as they are battle hardened.

6. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

It is going to come down to what you prefer and dealer support. I currently use Echo and Stihl products. Happy with both of them and have excellent dealer support.

DJ-

7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to know if it is true. Go to the JD website and look at it. I have the stuff and it is labeled with Kawasaki branding all over it and my blower filters are actually kawasaki oem air filters from kawasaki.

No claim, just the fact. The handheld blower is actually a Robin engin, also found right on the JD website.

My stuff starts no trouble, runs strong and out of all of the trimmers I have used, I like the XT140 the best. So I would recommend that trimmer even if you go with Echo 2 cycle for other stuff.

8. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

how the echos compare price wise?

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

echo is the way to go

10. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Thanks for verifying this. If it is Kawasaki, then it should be good. I don't know why Consummer Report said the Deere mowers are not good. My experience of Consummer Reports is they are good in Auto and general house hold appliances. When comes to specialty stuff, they really don't have the knowhow to judge. I am a photographer, I listen to them on the recomendation on SLR, later when I know more, they were WRONG!!!! They don't know what they are talking. This also apply to video equipments. They kept recommending Magnavox. I listened to them and bought their VCR and TV, they stink!!!! Those equipment have engineering problem, not stable at all.