Deere vs Exmark vs Hustler vs Scag vs ...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by captain2morrow, Jun 10, 2006.

1. captain2morrow

captain2morrow LawnSite Member

I am a newbie looking to get my first ZTR tractor. Need a 60" deck. Been reading several of the posts on equipment and am getting more confused! I was first thinking of an Exmark Lazer Z until I read about cutting quality problems (Triton decks?) and dealer apathy. Then was considering a Deere 757 or 777 but price could be a problem (local dealer has bad rep). So looked at Hustler Z but then read about cut quality issues, although it sounds like Hustler got right on it! Don't know much about Scag but have seen some in this area. I know there are several others as well, so even more confused.

I don't mind paying a FAIR price, but demand great cut quality and dependability. I guess the question to ask you more experienced guys is:
    If you were to do it over again, what would you buy?:confused:

2. p7m8hk

p7m8hk LawnSite Member

These are the best prices I could find....

06 JD 757 60" deck $7650.00 (I just bought one)

06 Hustler 60" deck (25hp) $7950.00

Scag Wildcat 61" deck $7995.00

Exmark (no information)

Hope this helps

Clete

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would choose the same mowers we have now.. CUB TANKS/LESCO !!!!!!! They will hold up as long as any other mower on the market.:cool2: :cool2:

4. East Coast Lawn Choppers

East Coast Lawn Choppers LawnSite Member

We have all scags, only ever had one problem and that was a spring on the deck broke at 3 hrs. running. The dealer said he has never seen that spring ever break and he took one off a new mower on the floor and put on it so we could get right back out... Our oldest one has 2400 hrs. and is a back-up but still runs and operates like the day it was new. I think if you take care of and maintain properly they are all good, but we like to stick with one brand.
    Good Luck...

5. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Hustler 52" and I absolutely love it. Like you I looked at several different models and weighed the ends and outs of each. The reason that I went with Hustler is:

1. The cut quality is great.
    2. Low center of gravity so it worked well on slopes and hills which I have a lot of.
    3. Cup holders...gotta have them if you'll be out for a while.
    4. Comfortable, it just felt better to drive and to sit in.
    5. Emergency brakes are bulit into the steering controls so there are no other levers to mess with.
    6. Ease of maintenance - you can get to everything.
    7. Dealer service is great and the mower came with a longer warranty then some of the other models.

The Hustler was a little bit more expensive than some of the models that I looked at but I am really happy with the selection.

6. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Well having ran and demoed everything besides the cub cadet tanks (same as lescos) I have decided on 2 brands that I currently use.

Hustler- We use hustler walk behinds and IMO are so far superior to the other brands its not funny. The only 2nd close being the Toro's with the T-Bar controls. Hustler dealer support is 2nd to none. If ya want a example look at how well Hustler is working with guys to fix the problem with there new XR-7 deck vs. how ExMark is working with guys to fix the issues with there new Triton deck.

We have a Hustler with a 60" deck and love it (not the new XR-7). We are looking at upgrading once the 30hp Kohler is more available.

Dixie Chopper- We use a 72" Extreme with the 32hp Generac and its been one helluva machine. Will cut as fast as you dare to go. They wont hold a hill as well as a Hustler. However when ya bolt double blades on a dixie they will mow and grind any leaves or clippings to dust. These mowers are ugly to some but will run the longest out of any of your choices. I Highly recommend Dixie Chopper.

Next season were going to sell these off and run with only one rider and its already hell trying to choose between a Hustler and a Dixie Chopper. Its like Ford, Chevy and Dodge everyone who likes there truck says its the best.

Try them all out and factor in your dealer support and you will probably not walk away in bad shape. Good luck to ya.

7. captain2morrow

Thanks for the great info.....any other pricing tidbits would be welcome! I have not been doing this long enough to develop any brand loyalties, so I am open to any manufacturer.

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Demo them all before making a decision. I would not buy the Exmark with a Triton deck without testing it in all conditions. I use Exmark, Grasshopper, Walker, and Scag. I am looking to buy another 60" and it will be 1 of these.
    Lastec 61" articulator 1st choice waiting for demo.
    Hustler have not demoed yet...2nd choice
    JD 757 or 777 I have demoed and really like the MOD deck but I have some quality issues when mulching...need more demo's with different blades

I am comparing them to my Exmark Ultra Cut which has been what I have built my business on. Check out the Lastec go to www.lastec.com These are spendy over $10,000 but they do what other mowers won't flex up or down. No scalping !

9. jpsquared

jpsquared LawnSite Member

i just got a 60inch super z to go along with my 52 fastrac and i love it and the hustler forum has a complete list of prices you should check it out

10. captain2morrow

I looked at the Hustler prices on the forum web page....Do dealers have much wiggle room on ACTUAL pricing to us or is it MSRP with occasional manufacturer sales? I have not even demo'd any products yet, but don't want to walk into the showroom not knowing what to expect. Any negotiating tips you could share? Any idea of what discounts are available or that I should ask for? Any help would surely be appreciated!!