1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

deere vs yanmar

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dannyu, Nov 12, 2008.

1. dannyu

dannyu LawnSite Member

Has any one compared the two. I am a Deere person. I have a 135c with thumb and blade, love this machine but it is a little big for my business. Would like to trade for the new 85d to be a little more versitale for my type business. Compared to Yanmar VIO75, it is 20000.00 diff in price. Has anyone priced the new 85d:confused:
  2. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you comparing a Yanmar VIO75 to a deere 85D and not comparing to deere 75D?

3. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got a 2008 yanmar Vio 55 and it's a real smooth machine. it's a little tippy being a zero turn but I guess they all are. I've always run regular style machines so it was a little getting used to. I will tell you one thing, the enclosed cabs on the VIO100 is not very cozzy, don't know if it's the same as the 75 but the 100 is somewhat hard to see out of the way the cab is shaped. Mines an open cab machines so it does not bother me.

here's a video of it in action, it's a quick little machine

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  4. dannyu

dannyu LawnSite Member

I have had a Yanmar dealer try to trade my 135 deere and he is quoting me a new Yanmar 75 as a trade, he called me cause I dont think I want a yanmar, it is still hard to beleieve cost difference. Difference in 75 and 85 is the swing boom on front which I like to have
  5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Yanmar's cabs are definitely smaller than the Deere'tachi 75/85 series, that's a big advantage to going with Deere'tachi.
  6. SellingIron

SellingIron LawnSite Senior Member
    from FTE

Here is a spec chart. Didn't have any of the pricing for them...:usflag:

Attached Files:

7. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry for the off-topic randomness, but Ron your new picture in your sig is cracking me up.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I think the Yanmar's are okay. I haven't run the 75, but a buddy of mine has an '07 Vio55 that is an adequate machine. Comes with a hydraulic coupler, that's nice, and it's a pretty stout machine. It is a little on the tippy side, I think that's a Yanmar issue more than a ZTS in general issue, most other 5 ton ZTS machines I've ran aren't quite as light in the ass but it's not too bad. Machine has a decent amount of juice, however I feel it needs more crowd force, but that's about it.
  9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you have a Deere already I would stick with Deere because you could trade the bigger machine in for a smaller machine.

I would also look at Komatsu they are getting better in the quality department.
  10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Cat's 308DCR and 307DCRSB still have higher numbers in the bucket and stick forces.