Deere X585 - 4 wheel drive worth the extra cost?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tpetty, Jan 28, 2005.

1. tpetty

tpetty LawnSite Member
    from IL

I'm going to be buying a lawn mower before summer. I have about 3 acres to mow. The main problem is hills. The back yard used to be a "pasture" and has a shallow terrace, but the big problem is the slope down to the pond. It is STEEP. Currently the guy we pay to mow uses a stand behind to do it, and doesn't really like it even with that.

I'm planning on buying a lawn tractor; from what I've read in these forums I don't think I would trust a ZTR on some of my slopes. I'm thinking about getting a 1-2 year old Deere X485 or X585. Does the 4 wheel drive's extra traction on hills justify the extra cost (and I assume upkeep)? I assume the safe way to tackle steep hills with a tractor is straight up & down, and that the 4 wheel drive would help with this, but it looks like they go for at least $2000-2500 more than the 485, and I may be going overboard with this.

2. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I guess it depends on what you mean by steep. I have a Ventrac witha 60in mowing deck I like for mowing my grass. It handles the steep ground better than a ztr. It is 4x4 and articulates instead of just turning the front wheels. Might be a little more than you are willing to spend. Around $20grand new for tractor and mowing deck. They also have a dual wheel option for the seriously steep areas. Class zero three point hitch and a host of attachments available. Probably about as good a rough terrain mower as you can find. Wont keep up with the ztr's on flat ground speed wise but the quailty of cut is just as good. Going up and down is definately the best way to mow steep ground altho with care the Ventrac will mow across slopes if you also have the extra weight bar in the rear. The Local WalMart gets someone with a Ventrac (with dual wheels) to mow their retention ponds here and its steeper than my areas I mow. Down right scary if you ask me, I wouldnt do it.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

4. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

KEYWORD: lawn tractor. An X-series is a Heavy Duty Garden Tractor. A ztr will not perform like a 4wd Xseries mower on a hillside bar none. we've had an X485 with diff. lock though for 5 years and it has taken all the hills we've thrown at it in southern Indiana during that time anyway. But we've just ordered a new X728 with a 7-Iron deck (yes, you can get 7-iron on them now) because we wanted 4wd for the loader we ordered with it. also, no ztr I've heard of has a 540 rpm pto or cat. 1 3pt. hitch. And yeah, I understand it's not gonna move mountains with that 45 loader, but hey, 600 lbs on the loader is 600 lbs I don't have to lug with my back. Thanks.

5. tpetty

tpetty LawnSite Member
    from IL

It's been a couple summers since my original post. I bought a Johny bucket loader, which works great both to move dirt and to snow plow the driveway. I did buy chains - made a world of difference in the snow.

I did go with the X485 to save the $, although I still sometimes wish I had the 4WD. Particularly with the loader (being front heavy) it's tough to turn uphill, sometimes just spin. Otherwise, it's been a great tractor.

6. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

Great to hear it. Yeah, the X485, I'm sure, has been a good unit for you. I'm still looking forward to getting our X728 in. I just get a little irked when people say that a ZTR will do anything a lawn tractor will do...well, they're right in a way because a ZTR WILL do anything and probably MORE than a LAWN TRACTOR will do, but there's a big difference between a lawn tractor and an Xseries tractor. It's kind of funny though, because the 4wd came down to only being a $1200 option for us new. I mean that's still a chunk of change for us, but I felt it was worth it I guess.