1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Deere Z-Trak Deck Adjustment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by prosperity, Apr 15, 2007.

1. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

This is my first Z-Trak, but have owned many other pieces of Deere equipment.

My dealer is usually very good, but one thing they always lack is proper setup of equipment when it is new. So, as usual, I had to fine tune the deck for level and cutting height.

Following the instructions, I first got the side to side leveled up. then I went to the cutting height adjustment. I set the cutting height to 3" as per the instructions, and measured 2 1/4" at the blade tips. When I finally got the blade tips up to measure 3", I had all 4 u-bolts turned all the way up. The bottom of the u-bolts are actually touching the deck.

I just wanted to be sure I am not missing something important here - seems weird to me that I had to adjust the u-bolts all the up to their max to get the cutting height correct - seems to me they should me more at a half way point.

Did I do something wrong, or is the way it is?

Thanks for any input.

Oh - by the way - 727A w/54" 7-Iron

2. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

If you have bought that thing new I would take it right back to the dealer! Our local dealer does an excellent job setting these things up. Although one time they did have the brake adjustment just a tad to tight, after running for a while it would get hot and start sqeeling and they cheerfully corrected the prob. I would let your salesman know about the service departments habits. You bought and payed for a quality product and they should stand up to there heritage.
  3. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would take the thing right back to the dealer and make them do it. If they didnt, they would have a new 727 sitting there.
  4. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

have you checked your tire pressure?
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well I haven't looked at them in a while, but when they were basically the same thing as the Great Dane Chariot, they had an adustment between the lift handle and the carrier. This was used to adjust the cutting height then.

Don't they have that feature anymore?
  6. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 717a with same deck just smaller and just checked it and i have maybe a 1/4'' of the tread going down to the deck on mine.that much sticking trough the nut on the bottom side.
  7. prosperity

Thanks for the replies all.

As for taking it back to the dealer...they just changed hands as I bought the Z. I've had a very long and good relationship with the sales manager and head mechanic at this dealer for the last 12 years or so. But, with this forced buyout (Deere involved), both these people have left for other jobs. It's weird I know, but unless I have a warranty issue, I'm kind of avoiding going in there for the time being.

I did check and adjust the tire pressures before starting.

I'm going to have a look at it again today (being that it's another snow day). I have a wooden plank floor in my barn. I did set the whole unit on a sheet of plywood to try to get as even a floor as possible for doing this, but maybe that still isn't even enough. I am going to put the machine on my trailer and do the adjustments again - that's about as level and flat area I have to take the measurements.

Thanks for the input.
  8. prosperity

Got it now - all leveled up properly, and the height is right with the u-bolts near where they were to begin with.

I'm happy with it now - my wife says I need to get out and get mowing - too much time to think about this stuff - just needs to quit snowing!

Thanks for all the input.