Deere Z830A eating transmission belts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, May 10, 2008.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My new Z830a is on it's 4rth transmission belt with only 85 hours on the clock.

Dealer also replaced the idler this time because it had sharp burrs, but I think those came from when the belt broke and the idler slammed into something else at full speed.

I can't believe this machine weighs 1300lb. dry without operator, goes 11-12 MPH, yet has only a puny 1/2" belt to drive the transmissions. That wimpy little belt should be on an alternator or fan on a car, not propelling 1300 lb of mower with 66 lb of fuel and 275 lb of operator. OK so maybe I could lose a few lb. but my God, trying to propel 1600 lb. with a 1/2" belt just defys engineering common sense.

If you own one of these lemons, welcome to the house of pain.

Oh, the deck lift pedal goes lame from a bad bushing (did it on mine and a loaner) and also the high-lifts are so strong, they lift pea gravel and shatter your customer's windows. (2 windows broken in 14 years of mowing, both this week courtesy of my Z830a).

2. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

WOW! Did you happen to catch the thread about these mowers having power loss problems due to the hydro pumps.

3. Toad

WOW! Did you happen to catch the thread about these mowers having power loss problems due to the hydro pumps. John deere pro series runs sluggish

4. Albemarle Lawn

I think the problems are related.

If the hydros are sucking all the power out of the motor, they are doing so through a 1/2" belt.

Take out a belt engineering table. If the hydros are stealing all the engine power, they are absorbing about 15 out of the the 22 or so available horsepower (engine rated at 27HP).

15 HP requires a pair of 5/8" belts for continuous power. Yes, 2 5/8" belts.

The power issue is operator error. The hydros are very touchy. Mow speed is about 1/4" forward on the sticks. Full forward is transport speed. People need to understand the machine is "geared" high for transports speed. Maybe a 2-speed like some skidsteers have would be more appropriate for the flexibility and speed elasticity they are trying to achieve.

How fast you mow is a function of power, deck design, and grass height/thickness. I had to stop my most experienced guy three times last week on one yard for blazing across a yard with dull blades. He thought the new mower was supposed to mow that fast.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like those those integrated hydro's are taking a lot of power to run and putting more strain on the belt. But it is the first incident we have heard of on the belts so I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I guess the lower hp machines bog the motor and the higher power motors slip/stretch/snap the belts. Looks like these new drive systems need to go.

7. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

I still can't believe John Deere has made such a disaster out of these new 800series z turns! Man they should fire who ever came up with a $9,000
    Z that can't mow going up a friggin hill! Put a bagger on one and try it!
    pitiful:mad:

8. chammons

chammons LawnSite Member

One of my buddys talked to a JD dealer....they were also having problems with the deck belts? Seems like they are throwing the deck belt if the deck is not lowered most of the way down. If you were cutting something really high...the belt slipped off. Bad angle??

9. Toad

Maybe they got he model numbers screwed up, like the 500 series was suppost to be the commercial and the 800 was the homeowner. anyways sorry bout that hope someone got a chuckel. dam comedians

10. Albemarle Lawn

Happened 3 times in 80 hours.