Deere Z997 or Kubota ZDPro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BobN, Apr 24, 2006.

1. BobN

BobN LawnSite Member

I've used Deere going on 12 years now on 60 acres of common area inside a homeowner's association. The association originally had belly muunted decks on Deere utility tractors. We replaced those with out fronts, first a F911 back in about 96 then more recently a F1420 in 01. We are looking at ZTR's to replace the down useless F911. This will be the first ZTR I've used besides a small Dixie back in the early 90's. I think we are going to go the diesel route this time. Both Deere and Kubota have limited dealer support locally for their ZTR lines. I've used a smaller Deere dealer for parts in the past with no problems, but they don't handle the larger equipment. I've never dealt with the Kubota dealer as far as customer service, and our local Deere dealer who handles the larger equipment changes ownership a lot and leaves me a bit worried at times. Soooo with dealer support issues aside, what do you all like and dislike about the two above units? Thanks

2. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

As I have said before, It doesn't really matter which brand you choose, it IS the dealer support that matters. Ask around - check the BBB locally. Of course, I recommend the Kubota. I demoed both units (diesel) when I purchased mine three yrs. ago. IMO, the better value was the ZD21. The Deere was $1,000 + more on the sale. When you spend that much money, do your homework. Read ALL you can. :usflag:

3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I have demode The JD But i like the zd28 between the two of them
    Thats what we run here ...ZD-28 / 72" PRO DECKS...They are fast and easy to run...repairs... are easy...but only spun a bearring on 1 pro deck so far
    Make shure that you get a deisel in any event
    Best of luck

4. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

The Deere 997 Is Built like a tank,but I think The overall size can be a
    drawback to some customers.I wish Deere Would come out with a smaller
    Diesel Z that might compete not only in price,but in size compared to the
    Kubota.Don't get me wrong,there is a place for the 997,but add a couple
    more choices to complete the diesel Z line.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Of those 2 I would get the ZD28 WITHOUT QUESTION.

Any more brands around with better service?
    Most all of them offer a diesel now.

6. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

If you had Good luck with the Deere's I would stay with them. I demoed the 997 and really liked it. Much faster than the the Kubota's and real smooth. I didn't think the rops on the deere would fit under the trees where I mow, But if you have been running utility tractors then height should not be a problem. I can assure you that a 72" 997 is twice as productive as a utility tractor with a belly mower. I know because I have one and my 72" tiger mows circles around it. Even though the Kubota is cheaper, I would still buy the 997.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

As a recent ZD-28 new owner. Buy them and you will love them. Trust me. Only wish I got then sooner.

8. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... I like my ZD28 Pro does a nice job :).

9. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Ill say this I have both and the ZD-28 is built well I love the Kubota engine, but the quality of cut is not as nice as the 997!

10. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Therefore, you have to decide. For $10,000 +, which is MORE important -
    The quality of cut, OR a VERY durable machine with an almost endless
    number of hours of service.:usflag: