1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Defective 1-inch poly pipe

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by telcomac, Jun 14, 2006.

1. telcomac

telcomac LawnSite Member

Just wanted to let every one know that I recently purchased 4 rolls (1200 ft.) of 1-inch, 100 psi. poly. Manufactured by ENDOT Industries. Installed the system,(9 zones). On the downstream side of the control valves for one zone, there are eight Toro 15-H nozzles on 6-inch 570Z pops. Started the system, ran this particular zone and in about 10 minutes the heads faltered and then dropped! Found the leak right away, seem this run of pipe let go at about 35 to 40 psi. Today, two more leaks appeared. also split pipe!
    Called ENDOT and they told me to call my supplier.:hammerhead:
    The run number for these rolls I purchased is, LOT P4 MAY 2 4 06 Shift 1.
    Ft. marking at 15868.
    Found out that if you squeeze the pipe end, it will split rather than bend.:dizzy:
    I figure the company must have runs that are in the miles rather than feet.
    Wondering who besides me, will bear the cost of replacing sections as they go bad?
    Just a heads up for anyone who may have bought some of this pipe.
  2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Was the lot nsf or non nsf? We install endot too. And our supplier had made a weird comment the other day about the pipe. We have a job that went in the other week with great pressure on every zone except one. We replaced the heads and assumed it was defective seals which did not make a difference. Now you have me wondering. Keep us informed.
  3. Flow Control

Just got off the phone with our supplier and they are going to swap out the remaining rolls from our drop ship. I brought up the point of liability for what is in the ground and he pointed me in the direction of endot.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Basically, what this can do, is make the manufacturer one to avoid. Non-NSF utility pipe may not get the manufacturer support their NSF tubing will. Endot had pipe splits a generation back, and no local supplier would touch the stuff. I use Oil Creek, or Charter, utility grades, and no worries.
  5. Flow Control

You probably do have a lot of choices in nyc. But some other area's are limited to one or just a few suppliers they have in the area. I have tried to contact the manufactures but they won't sell to companies even if you do want 500 and some odd rolls that fill a semi.
  6. Wet_Boots

I didn't have to make the choice. The suppliers did it for me. Endot utility pipe is something they won't touch. You may never be able to deal directly with a pipe manufacturer, but if your local suppliers aren't getting you good pipe, you can always make inquiries further afield. Buy enough, and you can get that semi-load delivered free.

It might work out, for users of smaller quantities, in some locations, that NSF tubing is the way to go. At least there's better manufacturer support for the stuff.
  7. Flow Control

Semi-load delivered for free I assume you are talking about a drop ship where the freight is at no charge and you get a break on the pricing as opposed to buying at the supply shop who has the overhead of storing it and what not. That is how we prefer to purchase pipe. I have tried to get a supplier to buy from a new manufacturer and it is not that easy since they are usually getting the best price from one poly or pvc manufacturer due to the large quantity of consumption. So if one is buying over a million feet of pipe a year from company x. They might not get the same price from company b if a contractor requests only 90000 ft. Also the supplier said that when they open a new account with a manufacturer the agreement usually includes a commitment of pipe$$. e.g. crestline requires 250k commitment if you want to start carrying there pipe, or so I have been told. This is the first year that I have tried endot and believe me, even though the local supplier said they would exchange our remaining rolls, I have already starting requesting quotes from other suppliers in the area for other brands.
  8. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Thats not true. It mostly depends on the market and how far they have to ship it from the plant. ICS where are you in the midwest?
  9. Flow Control

10. Wet_Boots

Oil Creek is in Titusville PA, and I think Charter is also there.

It's kind of disappointing, to have Endot repeat their mistakes with the utility pipe. I don't know what the high resin prices and/or resin supply problems might have to do with the defective product.

Before Oil Creek became locally popular, Cresline was often used. I think I also saw some pipe with 'Triangle' as a brand name (possibly connected to Trangle Wire & Cable)