Defendor herbicide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turf Dawg, Feb 6, 2013.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I along with about 8 others were invited to DOW in December for two days to discuss this product, their testing results and what we thought about the product and where pricing should be at.

It was a great experience to learn about this product but what impressed me most was the people there and how awesome DOW is!!!

Straight from DOW...this product is to be used early with Dimension ONLY. That is why it is being sold in a combination pack.
    If it is used alone WITHOUT Dimension the efficacy of the product isn't as good.

Product also works better in the 30-40 degree weather then 50-60 degree weather. My rep even said that once it warms up you would be better to leave the Defendor OUT and switch to Three Way. The earlier the better for Defendor.

They never mentioned combining Defendor with Three Way at all. It would technically be different chemistry with redundant results and an added cost.

In my opinion you would be much better off to heat up your Three Way with Quicksilver if you are trying to heat it up.
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you very much for that report.

I thought it might be something that would work out great for me but I guess it does not fit the bill for my needs.

When I start my first round in late Feb the temp will be between 50-70 and only goes up from there.
  3. greenskeeper44

greenskeeper44 LawnSite Senior Member

nice talking to you rod, i looked into this product and yes it gets dandelions and chickweed...but on our first round we have a huge problem with henbit, hairy bittercress, and speedwell...these are not on the label.....did you say the price was $5 to $6 per acre? may stick with 3 way/quicksilver and wait to hear more.
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Good talking to you too!

I specifically asked them about Henbit and it doesn't have much activity on them. There are a few weeds that it does well on that are not on the label.

I was very impressed with what it does to chickweed though! It grows way to fast for us to wait and get on round 2.

Will keep you all posted.
  5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like a no thanks to me
  6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The only advantage I can think of is that it is cheaper than Gallery. Otherwise, no economy in a herbicide that does not stop a wide variety of broadleaves or last very long. Dow says florasulam has a soil half life of 14 days. Isoxaben has a half life of 100 days or at least 1/3 of the growing season for me or all season for most people on the continent.
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I hear what you are saying but I guess we are looking at it to delay calls and buy us time before round 2.

$5 an acre is money...but our guess is it will be more then worth it. If it didn't keep dandelions from blooming and lay out chickweed, then I wouldn't even think about it.

But these are two of our biggest issues come spring.
  8. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Are you going to be spraying your dimension and defendor out of your ground logic units, or is this only a backpack/spot spray treatment?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Same here, we don't have problems with dandies down here.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

We will be doing both.

I am not saying this is for everyone!

And the jury is still out weather it will be worth it...but right now we are very excited about it!