1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Defiance Grass Seed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by bdhillis, Mar 24, 2011.

1. bdhillis

bdhillis LawnSite Member

I tilled, sowed, fertlized, strawed by yard last fall. I am in Tennessee, and the grass has not got thick like it was last fall when it germinated. I am afraid that I mowed it to late last year and the winter has caused damage. I applied weed/ feed and crab grass preventer last week. The grass is green but seems to be taking its sweet time growing. Whats going on with it?
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Cold soil temps are the Likely cause. wait for warmer weather it will grow fast, but hot weather can result in fungus disease.
  3. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys check your soil pH down there?
  4. bdhillis

bdhillis LawnSite Member

yes... i checked it last fall after the germination took place. There were no issues..... Should I check it again?
  5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

prob not going to change all that much, i would not

without pics, i can only guess winter damage or seeded too darn thick so it starts to choke itself out. very common mistake. get us some pics and we will do our best to help

on another note, we use the same seed often and it does take some time to get going for whatever reason compared to regular TTTF. have noticed that about it