1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Define a "cut"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcclureandson, Jul 18, 2004.

1. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

What's a basic service in your area? I've got plenty of customers expecting the usual....edge, trim , mow and blow...and run into a few others who want the hedges neatened every time, beds weeded etc...I don't mind an extra two or three minutes (literally) but after that I begin to charge. What's everyone else doing?
  2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd avoid all and any freebies, mostly because people will impose "mission creep" on you by demanding more and more.

They want hedges trimmed or weeds dealt with? It'll cost. I'm not with the Peace Corps and this is no hobby. Anyone who doesn't understand that is just not paying attention.
  3. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

Define a "cut"

Its always another day and another time dont got time for that.. My defination of a cut is cut the grass trime edge blow and go.
  4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

A "cut" is exactly what you said. Mow,trim, and blow. Any thing else I charge for.
  5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am with you guys about what defines a cut but some clients ask me to roll hedge trimming every week into their quote. This works out well. Any time anyone wants me to do extra work it will be extra money.
  6. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

i'm with woody, anythin extra will cost extra
  7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Mow, trim, edge, and blow. That is spelled out in the contract they all sign, but most still expect me to come over and check the sprinklers and pull or spray a few weeds, for FREE! HELL NO! And the part that gets me is that they are upset about that. They don't work for free and either should I, even if I am just the "lawn guy."
  8. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

A cut don't have anything to do with hedges or trees or planting.

Just what it takes to cut only.
  9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

strictly, mow, trim, blow, go.

even now over here that is becomming an over service due to the amount of hacks racing around with just a mower, a lot of people call now wanting their lawn mowed but only expect just that, cheap. (no trim) I will for acreage work as owners can trim themselves but the mowing is too much for them, these are my favourites.
    But I wouldn't do a lawn without edging, so in town stuff is hard to win because I charge to edge. When it becomes a jungle they start calling around wanting edging only....and the cycle restarts...and there is no money in cleaning up others work, once done the hack goes back to just mowing...

Thanks to hacks who cheapen services and the industry....