Define a Foreman/Team Leader

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MarcusLndscp, Jan 20, 2006.

1. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to post this in a couple different places........

For those of you in the general green industry discussions forum, what do you expect from your foreman/crew leaders? How much project management is expected from them? How much do they deal with clients? Coordinating subs and their work? Scheduling? Long term forecasting of time frames for project completion? Scheduling materials? Watching the budget/mHrs? Scheduling work and the interactions of different divisions of the company?

Does your company have different levels of foreman/leaders? Senior foreman, junior foreman, assistants????

When you've defined your requirements of a foreman for you (if you don't mind my asking) what kind of pay scale,perks and benefits do you provide them in compensation for the performance they provide the company? We're currently analyzing ourselves and are just curious where we stand as a company within the Construction/Green Industry.

Any input or thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you
    MarcusLndscp

2. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I have four types of employees.

General laborer - makes the least amount of money, he is a general technician and is not a driver. His duties are to get the work done.

Foreman - He is the leader of the crew, the foreman is the one to make sure everything is done correctly before the truck drives off. The foreman also trains new employees. The foreman also talks with the customers when they come out. The foreman also controls the daily clipboard, recording times that the jobs take, and recording any problems or equipment needs/repairs.
    The foreman may or may not have a drivers license.

Driver - The driver, may or may not be the foreman, it depends on his experience. The driver must have a valid drivers license. He will usually make a few dollars more than the general laborer, but less than the foreman.

All employees are required to perform routine maintenance on their machines everyday, checking oil, cleaning air filters etc.

General manager - The general manager must have a special kind of attitude, and be able to do anything that needs to be done. He will give out bids, talk on the phone to customers, run around town doing errands, and fill in as a driver if someone calls in sick. The general manager is also required to get the crews off in the morning, and to help get the trucks parked in the evening. I try my hardest to keep the general manager from being on the crew, but if we are in a pinch, he should be ready to mow all day until we can get new guys hired.

I do all of the scheduling and bill paying. I also act as a driver /foreman/ laborer/ general manager on many occasions.