define commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turfcutters Plus, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

Would you classify a duplex that the owner doesn't live in a residential or commercial property?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It kinda depends but it really doesn't matter, a prop is a prop and it costs what it costs, regardless of classification. So, consider it one or the other, I called one like that commercial last year to make me feel better, but in the end the price would've been the same if I had called it residential.
    About the only thing is, whether resi or commercial, on a duplex lot were the owner(s) agree I can do both of them at the same time (yes always), I adjust the price by estimating the entire area as one big lot instead of two smaller ones (this makes it cheaper), just don't stab yourself... One easy way to do it is to estimate the two individually, add the two up and subtract 10 dollars.
    So like if it were 30 dollars each, that would be 60 for both, minus 10 makes it 50 <- Likely your price, if the lots aren't very large to begin with (1/4 acre each or thereabouts, and everybody wins: customer gets both done for 25 each and you get 50 bucks for 1/2 acre, good money either way).
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd classify it as residential. That's also what the zoning department in that area will classify it.

Commercial is business. Residential is living space.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I suppose it really doesn't matter but I would classify it as a commercial property. I'm just courious, why do you ask? Plus IMO it looks better on a "resume" when going after more commercial accounts.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If the property is zoned commercial it is a commercial property.
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We would just consider that a residential account.
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I have heard duplex's called Commercial Residentials.
  8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I charge the same no matter what - So what difference does it make???????
  9. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I know it doesn't make any difference money wise.I was simply trying to figure out my % of residential jobs v/s % of commercial jobs.Not a big deal at all.:usflag: