1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine son wants to know the what the floating position is. How would YOU all define it?<br>Nick

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The position of the hydraulic valve that allows the plow to follow the ground with gravitational force only.

3. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

so the plow is toching the ground?<br>

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

absolutely.

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Ok Floating:<p>The plow rest on the ground and if the ground is frozen will raise and lower with the contour of the ground. If the ground isn't frozen it will dig up the ground.<p>Floating posistion is achieved by allowing the lift cylinder to have an open valve. So as the ground drops, and the plow lowers the cylinder is able to contract further. This is because the chain pulls down on the cylinder (just like when you lower the plow. So when the plow is in the float posistion, which it is every time you drop the blade (unless you raise the plow just alittle bit, this cancles the float setting) you are in the float posistion. This is why you can plow slights dips in the lots with out leaving snow on the pavement. This is also why the plow manufactures say to allow the lift cylinder to be exposed about 2&quot; even when the plow is on flat level ground. Yes the plow is in constant contact with the ground.<p>Hope this helps.<p>Geoff

6. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

Best way to experience the float position if the above posts don't clear it up is to visit a backhoe or loader dealer and try the float position on a loader. Sometimes if the plow raise/lower chain is too short the blade stops short of floating when you need it most, like at the stop of steep driveways, etc.<p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

7. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Right now I would define floating one of two ways.<br>1- what my slow pay customers do to me every winter<br>2- a raft in the caribean with me on it and a bahama mama in my drink<br>to quote Van Halen<br>I had a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand<br>And its just a thought but columbia power may be a youngster, maybe Bryan can show him the ropes.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org