Define Landscaping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffh1988, Jan 20, 2005.

1. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I don't want to ruffle any feathers here or break any laws so i must ask the definition of landscaping. It is legal for me to mow grass i need no liscense or anything to do that, but my question is, do you have to have a landscaping liscense to do mulch and trim bushes is that considered landscaping? I know planting bushes spraying chemicals etc. requires a liscense...

Thanks for the help
    Jeff

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

In some states a contractors license is required to do landscaping. Check with your state contractor board.

3. jeffh1988

from MS

Well in our state you have to be a certified landscaper my question is mulching considered landscaping?

4. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Yes, I would say mulching is considered landscaping.

5. Mo Green

I don''t think it is considered landscaping. I would call it landscape maintenance.

6. jeffh1988

from MS

Do you think i could use that argument. I have talked a friend of mine here who is a large LCO and he told me i probably could call that lawn maintenance what are you opinions on trimming shrubs? In my opinion i would say that it also falls under Lawn Maintenance.

Thanks
    Jeff

7. jeffh1988

from MS

anybody else have an opinion on this

8. Mo Green

I think that if you are trimming shrubs or installing mulch, you are only maintaining what has already been landscaped. I think landscaping, as far as needing a license, is more like moving dirt, installing retaining walls, planting trees and shrubs, or shaping the land around a structure.

9. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

I can tell you what my workmans comp in Missouri defines as landscaping.
    Seeding, Sodding, planting, grading, tie walls, rock walls, mulching, ect. where there is no existing landscape. We can go in and take out a dead tree and replace it with a new tree and it is maintenance. Missouri does not require a liscense for any of these services. I would check with the department who issues the liscenses, they should have written information to help you.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you are running a business.
    you need a liscense, and should have insurance.