Defining Professionalsim

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jun 17, 2013.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Under promise and over deliver. My employees have never understood why I do things directly after a client say I don't have too. Its to give that little extra value even though you included it in that bid you handed them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. stebs

stebs LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my take on this.... In my opinion, the guy that shows up in shorts and tank tops/cutoff t-shirts is more likely to work hard and bust his @$$ to get the job done than the prissy people in khaki pants and polo shirts all tucked in. That's just the way I feel about it. If I were to choose between the 2, id go with the shorts/tank top over the clean pressed look 99% of the time.

My last boss was of the attitude that professional was wearing khaki pants, have on a heavy polo shirt and have it all tucked in. Oh by the way, this was for a golf course maintenance job in 100+ degree temps!!! Funny thing about that guy, he didn't last 1 year and it was the worst year in a very long time for that course...

Keep doin what you're doin!

3. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a good thread....I would venture to say one of the many measures of true professionalism would be how you handle your **** ups and act when things arent going your way.

I have also learned to accept that different customers want different things. I just stick to replying to customers within 24 hrs of being contacted and making an effort to meet with them and or address their needs in a timely matter. That alone seemingly puts me ahead of most my competition.

I show up in my old chevy with boots on and my long hair in a pony tail , some guys would balk at that meanwhile blowing off a potential customers estimate for a week (or 3 in the case of one tree company I needed an estimate from ).

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Those cookies look a bit overcooked. Not professional imo. :)

5. Busto963

Busto963 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I think "dressing" for the job is important, but standard varies with the job. People expect an accountant to look like an accountant, and a welder to look like a welder.

You should be clean and neat, but look like you are ready to do the job.

6. C&C Landscaping

C&C Landscaping LawnSite Member

I feel professionalism is no more than common sense. If you are a successful lawn care CO I assume you have common sense or you wouldn't be successful.
    Treat people as you would want to be treated.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Thought i would share this one
    Completed this massive paver install
    [​IMG]
    Then we sat on the deck in her chairs and ate the lunch she made us. The dessert was watermelon btw.
    [​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

yup, that's what its all about BABY!! :weightlifter:

People do NOT care if you store the poly sand in the garage, and the watermelon tells us that :drinkup:

But we do gotta show you how to miter the corners for the border...........

9. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I don't like mitered corners, but when i do they call me "King Midas"
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

To me professionalism is treating others as you would want to be treated. Doing what is right no matter what. Look and act professional. Attention to detail and doing top quality work. I have said it before, this industry is cut throat. Its the little things that make a difference and separate the men from the boys.