Definition of a “turn key” business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mueller Landscape Inc, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in your thoughts of what a real "turn key" business might be.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

put your money on the table and you get it....customers, equipment, staff, current revenue, current debt, property,

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I think a turn key business is one that can operate with an absentee owner. If it's "turn key " it should be a money making machine complete with the management to run it. Otherwise you are buying a job.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's not a business if it can't run without you...otherwise it is just a job as Dave mentioned.

5. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Well so far we have 3 posts in agreement that a turn key business operates without the owners present. Why is this? What does it take to achieve this? Does this type of model increase value or decrease value of this business?

Anyone else?

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Simple. It takes a lot of work and patience. It takes trained, dedicated employees. It takes having the systems in place to just about run themselves all alone. It takes time proven policies, practices, and procedures that everyone is commited to. I could go on, but you get the point...

Value? Much higher vs...