Definition of a floating deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QC Lawn Services, Jul 29, 2004.

1. QC Lawn Services

QC Lawn Services LawnSite Member

I am interested in understanding the difference between a floating and a fixed deck. I did a search of the Lawnsite.com website and couldn't really get the info that I wanted.

As I understand it, a fixed deck is one that remains at what ever height it is adjusted to and if there are changes in the terrain then there is a better chance for scalping to leaving grass long.

Does a floating deck change with the terrain? Thanks.

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it does. It held up by chains and has anti scalp wheels on it that will lift the deck up when one hits it to help prevent scalping. A fixed deck is bolted to the frame of the mower and only moves with the mower.

3. FLS

FLS LawnSite Member

A true floating deck is not mounted to the mower,it's pushed or pulled by it.BUT in theory a deck that is not mounted directly to the frame of the mower is (only in theory)a floating deck.Before anybody argues this:it will not scalp as much as a rigid mount deck.

4. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a fixed deck.

36inch.jpg

5. barringtonbrothers

Here is a non-fixed deck/ floating

z pic.jpg

6. barringtonbrothers

Here this is a better pick of a floating deck.

exmark.jpg

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you are onto something there actually...

Take how a Walker and a Toro Z355 has their front deck mounted, different to how a mid mount ZTR is...

I believe the front deck types scalp less and don't leave uneven cuts when turning like a midmount CAN do, ya know, spin the Z around and the weight leans the deck over especially with low tyre pressures and you can see the turn in the turf, anyway I never noticed this with my Walker 48'' or my Toro 48'' both front mount ZTR's.

These 2 front mounts have true floating decks due to springs suspending the rear, a mid mount is more hanging but because the decks are so heavy, they can leave scalp wheel marks, yes they float, but a very heavy thing to float having all of it's weight hanging, front deck decks are designed lighter and are slung different so they float better, imo...

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

To confuse you even more:-
    There are also ARTICULATING decks. These decks are not suspended by chains to a rigid frame like the conventional floating decks but are suspended to the frame on a crank and pivot type suspension. In this case your front caster wheels are actually your antiscalp rollers.
    You really have to try very hard to scalp a lawn with this type of deck suspension. IMO a true "floating" deck.
    Much smoother and softer ride. Add a suspension seat and you dont want to stop mowing.

9. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Here' a pic of a 72" and a 52" mowers with articulating deck suspension. Note in the picture how the deck is suspended to the front axle. The front caster wheel on the 72" will travel up and down ± 8-10 inches and the deck follows and adjust accordingly.

articulator.jpg

10. FLS

FLS LawnSite Member

Tonyr,have you checked out the Walker by Walker:the deck moves independantly of the power unit.That's a floating deck.