Definition of Overseeding Being Obscured In Customers Minds!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mower For Less, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new item on my list of things that p!$$ me off. There are fertilizer companies around here (I do not know if this is a national thing or a regional thing, looking for input) that offer to overseed yards in the fall. Apparently, they are quoting overseeding for a 5000 sq. ft. (turf area, not lot size) yard for about $50. I however, have been advertising and promoting heavily the real overseeding, with a slit seeder. Now, I am not sure what kind of seed these guys are spreading, or at what rates, or what kind of soil prep is being done (guessing: NONE) but honestly, I cant even buy seed for 5000sq.ft. for $50. I have run into this situation twice this year, and it really ticks me off that they are calling whatever they are doing overseeding, and that customers (at least some) are unable to differentiate between this cheap knock off and the genuine article (slit seeding).

I was looking to find out if any of you know anything about this, or what they might actually be selling. The best I can determine is they are just spreading seed in the bare spots on a yard maybe, and not reseeding the entire lawn, and doing no working in of the soil at all, and probably no fert, unless that is billed sepperately as a fert app. Would really like some input from someone else who has encountered this though.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

That is impossibly cheap for 5K. The way I overseed is to aerate, then drop the seed down. That is also pretty effective, probably not as effective as slit seeding tho. But in my case, to do 5K would prob be about $120.

3. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Overseeding is Overseeding, Not slice seeding, although

That is cheap. a 50 lb bag of k31 kentucky is 55.00 so unless they are putting it on very thin, I dont know how they afford it. Also if they are advertising overseeding, as they probably use a broadcast spreader, and you are talking of using a slice seeder.

I'm pretty sure Overseeding and slice seeding are 2 different beasts. Slice seeding may have better germination rates but is more expensive due to the labor involved, and the cost of a slice seeder