Deflector on trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Mar 1, 2007.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Is it really necesary to have the cutting deflector on your trimmer? I took it off my redmax last year and started experiencing some whining sounds from the gear box. My dealer put a new one on and said not to remove it. And they void the warranty if it is not on from what I hear. Is it really important and does it wear down the unit by not having the deflector on? Any thoughts on this.

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I took mine off and will not be putting it back! I find that it is alot easier to trim around things. It does have alot more strain on the motor if I let the line get out longer. Some will say the lines will not be even but I've never had that problem!

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

well if you let the string get too long thats what builds up carbon in the exhaust port and muffler. all 2 cycle equipment is made to run at wide open throttle so when you dont have a guard on the line cutter on the guard cant keep the proper length. the next thing you have to do is replace the clutches and drum if you dont catch it in time.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There is no doubt in my mind that apparently MOST line trimmers are pieces of crap that last just about a year, regardless of what you do.

Sometimes, you may find one that continues to run: Hang on to that!

As for what you do with the string and the guard, I've got a 2002 Echo srm-260s that I ran exclusively for 3+ years without a guard and I like to let the string out. I don't run mine WOT, I run it with just enough throttle to get the job done. The clutch never burned out, and I never had a problem with carbon buildup. The one problem I did have is last year the coil gave out, and it took the *&%^ dealer 3+ months to get it fixed (because ALL Echo coils are under lifetime warranty, at least all the ones I've seen).
    You want to hear it, I'll get a video sometime, it's one of my best line trimmers.

My Stihl Fs-110rx is just over a year old, same thing: No guard, long string, just enough throttle to get the job done, runs great.

Oh, two things:
    You need to check the gearbox for grease, and refill it periodically with special lube (dealers sell it).
    And I run super unleaded 93 octane, perhaps carbon deposits come from dirty fuel, who knows?

5. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

We keep the guards on all of ours and don't have any problems with motors going bad...and I get hit and throw enough rocks/ other stuff as it is...

We use blade edgers for all driveways sidewalks, trimmers around beds.

If you angle the trimmer back some you can still see the trimmer line path...

We use all Stihl trimmers/edgers/blowers by the way

6. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

As soonas we buy a new trimmer the guard comes off in my dealers parking lot. The small expense of fixing if there is ever a problem is worth not having to hassel with the guard. Guess we have been lucky to no have to replace our trimmers yet.

7. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if the line is too long it's extra strain on the engine and clutch.

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If the guard is removed, chances are you are running to much line. If you are running too much line, you are putting extra wear on the clutch and engine. Also, the engine is not running at the full top rpm because of the extra load. The engine runs slower and can cause the exhaust to build up and if severe enough, can heat up and either damage the rings, exhaust side skirt, or can cause the engine to seize.

9. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I pull em off less weight and more power.

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Echo huh. With the stihl I feel if the guard is on the string will need to keep being bumped because they don't give enough room between the head and deflector. Also stihl's are supposed to have really strong gear boxes. So I guess I'll take mine off. Anyway, with 31 cc's, it has power and the deflector gets in the way.:nono:
    The redmax is another story. It seems the deflect is needed because it seems the unit isn't built solid enough to run without a deflector. I might go with a stihl fs80r(w/ steel shaft) or a echo srm260s for my next trimmer this summer. Because the redmax has been good but it seems stihl and echo make longer running durable equip.

btw, what's echo's warranty on their trimmers?