Deflectors shutes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plowking35, Jul 21, 2000.

1. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I know this has come up before but I will relay an experience that happened last week.<br>A fellow lawn care service provider stopped for lunch at the local store. While sitting and eating his sandwich, he was watching another lawn care service provider mowing a common green space area for a local township. Now they have been mowing this area for at least 7 yrs, and have gone over this spot 100's of times. Yet on this day they hit a stone just right, and wizzed it right through the open window of the truck and hit the person on the side of the head. Over a 2&quot; gash and heavy blood loss. Ambulance ride to the ER and a loss of work for 1 week. Now that stone could have hit anyone, be it you,me, or a child, it just happened to hit someone I know. He still has headaches, and a sore scalp.<br>Where was the deflector shute? Where are mine?<br>We all take the chance, but perhaps its just not worth it.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: plowking35

2. plowking35

from S.E. CT

A story like that and no one3 even posts a follow up, or a thought on the matter. this is the type of thing that could happen to or by each of us.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I was suprised nobody had anything to say too, but I guess I wouldn't excpect anyone to, either. What do you want us to say....&quot;We're all bad boys when we take off our mower chutes and trimmer gurads, etc?&quot;&quot; I know when I had my eXmark 48&quot;'s I had to take the chute off to put on the bagger platye. Now your sure as $hit I'm not going to unbolt and bolt back the chute everytime I want to mulch................BUT I thought of a quick alternitive. Use pins with cotter pins (it sounds confusing picture an angle cylinder on your plow and how its hooked to the frame) This way its a quick job putting it on and off. BUT I also know many of you take it off, or leave it up so you can spit the grass farther and spread it out more.....for that, Dr. Guido has no cure, sorry!<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, Dino, send our regards to your friend.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

5. plowking35

from S.E. CT

I guess what I was hoping to see were either some ideas about how to keep us all safe, or perhaps alternatives to the typical lousy shute idea that OEM installs.<br>I guess the mulching and dedicated bagger set ups is the best, but it doesnt work for all applications.<br>Rear disharge is also a great compromise.<br>I guess tho the main point is this, no matter how many times you have serviced a property, always check for objects. Whenever others are in the area, be extra carefull, throttle down, and if you do have a shute in up position, put it down.<br>If you have removed the shutes, put them back on, so the operator at least has the option to lower it. I do like the DC operator controlled shute.<br>And never ever discharge towards another living creature.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Dino: Sorry to hear of your friends bad luck. Lawn maintenance is a dangerous business. As I posted a few months ago on a discussion about danger, a friend of mine was mowing his lawn with a 21&quot; push mower with all the safety devices in place and a piece of wire shot out from under the mower, hit the garage, bounced back and hit him in the eye. The Doctors said if it would have gone a 1/8 of an inch farther, it would have been in his brain and probably killed him. As it was, he lost the eye. You always have to expect the unexpected. You can never be to safe. I too like the OCDC on the Dixie Choppers, but it still is no guarantee that something can't fly out from them. For those that don't know, OCDC is Operator Controlled Discharge Chute.<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

7. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know of an OCDC of a generic type that would fit any/most WB decks? I'd love to install one on each of our WB's (Ransomes).<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>www.cutntrim.com

8. snow

snow Guest

ok this idea may be whack, but i'll give it a shot. maybe if you take off the discharge shoot, instead of putting a mulch plate there, put some kind of screen or something that prevents objects bigger than a certain size to not be discharded. dino- give my regards to your friend.<p>bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=993086&quot;&gt;Bryan's Snow Removal Equipment Picts.&lt;/a&gt;<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;