Degree of Slope

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES, Oct 25, 2007.

1. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, what degree of slope are you guys using on your patios for drainage? I have read many different views. I have always had a minimum of 1% but have read that 2% is supposed to be a better fit but seems a little excessive for a place where someone is going to be using it for tables and drinks.

The next loaded question is what process do you use when you are trying to set the slope on a raised patio that is a simi circle. I have a laser and rod and could probally figure the math on it, and obviously you can't pull a line on a curved wall. I know that i will the point of my wall to be the lowest point. Leveling a wall is so much easier than this. Does anyone have any opinions on the best way to do this?

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

we typically do 3/16" per foot when we can. the old rule of thumb is 1/4" per foot or 1/4 bubble, but that can seem to steep.

as for the raised patio, are you asking how to put pitch in the retaining wall?

3. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

That Is What I Thought Too. 1/4"per Foot Is 2% Of Slope And It Does Seem A Little Excessive But That Is What Some Literature Calls For.

With The Raised Patio, That Is What I Am Looking For. Lets Say The Patio Is 12ft From The Wall To The Point. That Will Be About 2.5 To 3" Of Slope. What Is The Easiest Way To Get Your Retaining Wall Holding Back The Patio On That Same Slope When The Patio Is A Simi Circle. If It Was A Straight Line, I Would Just Find My Slope And Put A Taught Line On It, But I Always Fumble With The Curved Ones That Need Slope.

4. Dhouse

Dhouse LawnSite Member

We use 1"-1.5" of slope for every 10'. Its enough slope to run water off without the look or feel that you are falling off. You have to use your laser level to mark several spots so the level is equal on both sides of the circle and slopes up to the house. If that makes any sense.

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we had to do exactly what you are asking about recently on an outdoor kitchen job.

The patio went out 18'. we setup grade stakes at 18" then along the curve in 4' incriments out from the house.

we ran strings from collar to collar and leveled from that. When we were laying the first course, we started at the lowest point, and then set a block where each stake was and checked it with the laser. We filled in with block between these set points and checked for straightness with a 6' level.

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Are you saying you pitched the retaining wall???? In a situation like that i always just hump the center of the patio. That sounded real good huh?:cool2: :cool2:

7. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

if you hump (he he he) the center of the patio and there is walls on two sides, the where does the water go that is on the back side of the hump. would it not fall into the corner and seep into your base?

speaking of humping...where is my wifeee....

8. McLandscapingInc

McLandscapingInc LawnSite Member

2 percent is the minimum we use on all patio/driveways. ICPI standards call for a minimum of 1 percent but from my understanding 2 percent is pretty standard.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

There is no backside of the hump.

10. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

IT MUST BE ONE OF THOSE NEED TO SEE IT BEFORE I WILL UNDERSTAND IT THINGS, BUT LET ME PROPOSE IT THIS WAY AND YOU TELL ME WHERE I AM MISUNDERSTANDING IT. LETS SAY THAT YOU HAVE YOUR SRW WALL CONSTRUCTED AND IT IS PERFECTLY LEVEL. I STAND WITH MY BACK TO THE WALL OF THE HOUSE. TO THE RIGHT OF ME IS ANOTHER WALL. iF I HUMP THE MIDDLE, AND THE WATER RUNS OFF TO MY RIGHT AND SETTLES ON THE PERFECTLY LEVEL CAP, HOW DOES IT DRAIN BACK OUT TO THE YARD? That is why i was thinking to pitch everything forward so that the entire entity is off level, thus allowing water to flow no matter where it lies. help me understand Mrusk. Thanks in advance.