degree or no degree?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turf Professionals Inc., Jul 20, 2007.

1. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone in this field that has like a Horticultural or Botany degree. I own my own company (obviously) and I am about to transfer to the University of Florida. I am seriously considering a degree in Landscape Architecture or Landscape Horticulture. Any insight fellas?

Thanks
    Matthew, Owner Turf Professionals, Inc.

2. MILSINC

MILSINC LawnSite Member

I got an Associates in in Plant Science, and a Certificate in Landscape/Turf Operations. It elevated me above my competition as far as plant/disease knowledge, but failed me as far as working in the industry. I need a business degree more than I need this.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have a degree from UF in Evironmental Hort with a specialty in turfgrass...in 95

http://hort.ufl.edu/

Well worth it.... and since you a reinstate its pretty cheap. The Hort facilities are very nice and very up do date, at least at the time they were.

Botany won't do you much good in the landscape side of things, and although the money is good for being a LA, nothing ever really interested in that field where i wanted to do it full time. If you own your own company you can still design landscapes

You can get a Degree in ENH and get a minor is Business or LA....

I got my AA then transfered into UF after I change majors at another school.

Santa Fe Community College in G-vill has a great two year hort program. you could consider doing that then transferring in to a BS degree as well as a AS from Santa Fe...

if you want, give me call 202 345 7679 and I talk about everything Ive done Business and employment wise since leaving.

I'll be on vacation for two weeks down in tampa starting tomorrow but the phone is always on... but I may not be able to check my email as frequently (since I'll be on dialup)

4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I got an AA with concentration in Turf and Landscape from VA Tech in 96. It gave me a great head start and better foundation than a lot of the guys out there. even after being out for so long it still is helpful. I also got a 2 year from the local community college in business management which is also helpful when it comes to accounting etc.
    Basically, if you find a quality school it is the way to go.
    I would d do hort and pick up some design classes if you could. JMHO.

5. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

Thanks MarcSmith! That was really helpful! I am in my last semester at Santa Fe. I will look into that Horticulture program.

6. SpartanBill

SpartanBill LawnSite Member

Matthew, I have a B.S. in hort./landscape design & construction from MSU. It definately helped me get in the biz(landscp const.). It will help set you apart from other LCO's especially if you plan on working a landscape management angle (as opposed to "that guy who cuts the grass"). In my experience Landscape Architects are pencile pushers who make pretty drawings but most lack any sort of field experience. Horticulturelists tend to be involved through out the process from design thru installation and on into maintanence. MSU offered a straight Hort. program, focused on green house production and propigation, the design/ construction program was geared toward bidding, designing, and implementing, maintaining landscapes; irrigation,pavers,walls, plants,trees, etc. Both programs required a few business management classes.

I have to admit that now that I'm on the maintenance side of the biz. it's a little tougher sell on the mid-range properties, every time I give out a bid they say "but my neighbor is only paying $-- , usually $5 or $10 less. So you have to explain that you get what you pay for, and if you want 2 clueless unisured dudes tearing up there lawn than go with the lowest bid.
    Bottom line, some people want a beautiful landscape, & some people just don't want to cut their grass. Sorry, kinda went on a little rant.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

head to fifield hall on campus, the home of the Hort department. its on the the archer road side of lake alice. I can remeber teh exact name of the road

You will still have some summer classes going on now ,and most of the faculty is around so you can talk to them with out being rushed. You can wander around the green houses and talk to grad students and undergrad students as well. Talk to a professor and see if you can sit in on a class. It will cost nothing to ask and the worst they can say is "NO"

8. Matt,
    I will also be transferring to UF horticultural sciences program. I will be transferring over the fall. I think a degree like this will definitely make you more appealing to customers especially high dollar accounts. Good Luck maybe we'll meet (the program is small if you haven't visited yet).
    Keith

9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

you wouldn't know if any place around Sarasota fl would offer anything?

10. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Matt, I have a Bachelors in Business and am working towards an MBA ( Masters in Business Administration) I can tell you that it DOES help with the business aspects side of the business. (Business plan, forecasting costs/profits, allocating expenses, etc.) I think your choice of major is wise, but also consider taking a few classes in business law finance and accounting to help hone your skills. Hope this helps...