Degrees

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CatholicLawnie, Aug 12, 2006.

1. CatholicLawnie

CatholicLawnie LawnSite Member

Do most of you guys have degrees in landscape architecture or a similar field? I was wondering becasue I have begun to look at colleges and I was wondering if I should try to find a school with that program or is having that kind of degree not very important. I would like to have my own landscape business but I was very confused about this. I hope this came out clear. If not, just say so and I will try to reword it. Thanks!

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Bachelors Degree in Political Science
    a Masters of Business Admin
    and a 2 year Degree in Landscape Design

3. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

get a degreein business first then landscape or a 2 yr a business degree will take you alot further in this business than a landscpaing degree will..... its all about knowing you number nots the scientific name of plants or how to water turf.......... yes yes yes a landscpae degree is great and important i have one myself but i wish i would have paid more attention or even double majored in business cause once you get to the point to "step back" from it and run the business and not work (labor in the field) the business it aint really what you know about landscapes anymore its more what you know about business and how it works.......

4. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

You said you would like to have your own landscape BUSINESS. Like the other guys said - focus on the business part and gear your education that way. If the "landscape" part of the equation doesn't work out for you, you can apply your "business" background to a host of other opportunities

5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a ba in mass communications with an english lit minor, wow it sure is helping :laugh:

truthfully, should my life change course, it may at least provide a foot in the door to something else.

i wish i had gone into something like forestry or turfgrass management, but oh well.