"Delete" function

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by KirbysLawn, Jan 16, 2002.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

The delete function is not working. I have to delete a post just minutes after posting it and it will not allow me to do so. Is this an error or is thsi how things are set up?

Ray

2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the "edit/delete" timeout feature is set to about 5 minutes - do you know how many minutes since you had posted?

3. KirbysLawn

About 30 seconds

4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

You don't think 5 is too short.

5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always thought that deletion options were actually taken away from posters (no time frame) and you can edit a post up to 30 minutes.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I believe Alan is correct on the deleting.

This is how the editing works. I found this written by Eric.

Time to wait before starting to display 'edited by...'
    Time limit to allow user to edit the post without the [edited by xxx] message appearing at the bottom of the post. 4 minutes

Time limit on editing of posts
    Time limit to impose on editing of messages. After this time limit only moderators will be able edit or delete the message. 30 minutes

Time limit on editing of thread title, may be edited by the thread starter. 2 minutes

7. KirbysLawn

Why could someone not delete their post within a few minutes if they found it to be a mistake or on the wrong thread? Maybe this should be changed.

8. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Sometimes you might get several replies in just a few minutes... If you delete the first post in the thead you would lose the entire thread.

You can edit it though ( time limit ) .. just erase everything except a single character. Maybe leave a note explaining why you edited it out.