Delimma with looking for Blades

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Ruben Rocha, May 16, 2006.

1. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2003 super mini z 52" 25HP Kaw engine
    Now the story. I have been using the Gator blades part #785436 for some time and have been very pleased with them.
    I orderd them from the dealer that I bought my Hustler from because I was told they are out of stock. Then I found out they dropped the Hustler line. The new dealer is over 25 miles away which I went to. They also were out of stock of the gator blades so again I ordered them. In fact they were so new they did not have anything I need on a regular basis such as filters belts etc. Today I find out that the blades did not come in because they are no longer availible. They offered a after market blade by rotary but they also need to be ordered. They can't answer if they are exactly the same as the gator blades. But agin I am waiting. This has been going on for quite some time. Can you provide some help on part numbers for current blades availible for my Hustler?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Here is a link to a thread here on the forum with your blade options.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=88158
    I will look into the Gator blade situation and let you know what it happening there.
    The Rotary blade is very similar and would give you the same cut I am sure.

Pj

3. Ruben Rocha

Thank you PJ for the quick response. Your list still shows the Gator blades but I see it also has another mulching blade as part #794198. That was not printed in the manual that came with my mower. Is this another option?
    I asked about the fusion blades or any other optional blades if they would fit because I was desperate for something but they were not sure and they did not have anything in stock.Nothing against the new dealer I have now but it is just that it appears that they are very new to Hustler and are in a steep learning curve with your product. They did admit to this fact and they have a special log sheet on the counter to list regular items purchased to build up a inventory but I guess I am just venting a little frustration due to the inconvenience I am having at the present time.

4. Nelson Lawns

Nelson Lawns LawnSite Member

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Part #794198 is a fairly new # for us, this is what we recommend for mulching, it works excellent.
    It will work great on your mower.

6. Ruben Rocha

Well I went to the new dealer to pick up my blades. Two hours round trip. The "rotary" blades were offset blades meaning that when mounted the blades would extend below the deck about 3/4". I would not accept them. I offered the blade list you provided but it was refused. They said they would find a solution for me but I am now down to two sets of blades and as I stated it is at least two hours out of my way to the new dealer. Not only do they have bo clue on what blades I can use but I am expected to pay for shipping costs to order them.I know a member on topic posted a link for ordering blades but I would prefer to buy them over the counter.
    If you wish I can email you the dealer name but I am extremely displeased with the situation that I can't get blades or be offered alternatives. I did drop by a TORO dealer today that had a blade that matched up. I bought a set because I was out of blades.and they had a oil and air filter that works with my mower. So should I call it a Hustoro mower now.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

e-mail me your information along with your dealers and I will have our Florida distributor take care of this for you.

Pj

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You should not have to pay anything. Your dealer ordered the wrong blades from Rotary. My rotary shows a "straight", Gator-type blade that is a replacement for the Hustler #785436.
    That Rotary part number is 10972. You should not have to pay for your dealer's mistake in ordering the wrong part. Any good dealer will be set up with Rotary, and can order them for you.

9. Ruben Rocha

Update.
    Thank you PJ for your help as usual. The next day after I emailed you my phone number the local rep contacted me. He explained what happened with the Gator blades and that the new dealer was never informed since they started after the change. Also they found that the cross reference to rotary was incorrect and the dealer thought that the fusions would not work on my mini since the deck was not modified with the new discharge opening.
    I did find out that another new dealer opened a few minutes from me that is much more convenient.
    I postponed a reply since I wanted to test all my options on several lawns.

The new mulching blades worked well on st. Augustine but not well on bahia at all. It looks like the mulching edge did not have any wear on them.(Probably due to I have a stock deck with a stock discharge chute?)

I also purchased a set of fusions with a lot more success on the bahia even though the discharge cuttings are a little large.

The TORO GATORS have a different sail than the Hustler Gators did but they don't cut quite as well as the Hustler GATORS.

At this time I don't want to install a mulching kit but I am looking at a OCDC since my original chute has quite a bit of abuse on it. Do you think this will make much of a improvement on the mulching blades?
    Will modifying the discharge opening help with clumping?

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Having the wider chute helps with not clumping as much.
    Are you using a mulch kit with our mulch blades?
    As to a OCDC, it is not a mulch kit and will not perform like one.
    I would open up the chute and install the Fusions and you will be in good shape.

Pj