delinquent aact question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VLM, Jun 19, 2001.

1. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I have (had) a customer who called the day of service and cancelled. The message was left at 8:30 AM. I leave the house between 6:30 and 7:00. Of course I went ahead and did the job not having recieved the message which I got when I came home that day. Now they wont pay. I have tried my whole bag of tricks on them but no results. I am wondering if there is some credit rating service I can report them to. I really would just like to use this as a motivator to threaten them with. Is there such a service???

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

YES there is and it will cost you some money...probably not worth it.
    There is always court, but again probably not worth it.

3. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

No signed work order? Forget it. Not worth the time or effort.

4. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

This is a civil matter take them to civil court contact your county court house on how to file a civil suite it cost $62 here so if you are owed more than it would cost to file than it may be worth taking them. You may win or not if you do they should have to pay the court fee back to you ask for it in your complaint when you file. Good luck.

5. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Thanks for the great suggestions guys. Lonestar, do you happen to know the name or web address of that company. If I had some specific facts I would be able to threaten them more effectively. They only owe me $35 but I hate writing off bad debts and would really like to get paid. If all else fails I'll place a lien on the property, dont have time for court.

6. LoneStarLawn

http://www.madagency.com/

I think I read it will cost you 50% of what is due....

You might want to look around some offer it for free if the account does not have to go past the letters they send out...

7. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Thanks a heap Lonestar, you certainly have more sense than that other Texan.....Colby from Survivor!

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

VLM,

What did you do to piss them off so much? Customers just dont fire LCO's without a reason....usually. If its absolutely NOTHING that you did, (maybe they got a cheaper price?) just go to the house, knock on the door and talk reasonably to them. BE NICE. Explain the communication/time gap, and simply ask for your $35.00. What ever you do, BE NICE! Explain that you provided a service to them and expect payment for the work performed. All while BEING NICE! If they are totally unreasonable sh*t for brains scumbag that refuses to pay NO MATTER WHAT, Now its time to NOT - BE NICE. Tell them verbally what you think of them, just dont threaten them, but under no circumstances DO NOT BE NICE to them any longer!!!

Hey its worth a try!

If this fails, write it off as a bad experience!

Best of luck!

9. LoneStarLawn

Nice advice...NOT!!!!

Some people's business practices are horrible...

10. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

As far as I know I did nothing to piss them off. I do top quality work allways! They just moved into a house next door to one of my best customers. The wife told me her husband was coaching baseball and didnt have time to do the lawn. I noticed however, that he had time to do some serious landscaping so a red flag went up then. I knew it was a matter of time before they cancelled, because anyone who has that much energy, can certainly cut his own grass. I dont come across them often, but I guess they are just bad people. As for being mean, I wont waste my energy that way. If they want to be jerks I wont stoop to their level, but I will definitely us that collection agency. Y'all should check it out.