1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Delivering Fliers Is A PIA

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DBM, Feb 26, 2005.

1. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

Just got back after a few hours of delivering fliers. Weather is beautiful for a walk but so far it's a pain.

Crappy competitor (caught them dumping their grass at the end of my street last year in a wooded lot) had laid their fliers a day earlier, feet are sore, and only managed to get out about 50 fliers an hour (lots of lawns I don't want to be associated with and wide, shallow lots).

I've had about a 3% success rate with hand delivered fliers and about 1/2% if they're delivered as a newspaper insert so I find it's a necessary evil.
    Called it quits after a morning of doing this, off to enjoy some time with my family.

Anyone got some recommendations as to a better way of doing this? At this rate I'll have them all delivered by the end of summer. :rolleyes:
    I thought of using a bike but I don't know how competitors would view this.

2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Nobody ever said passing out fliers was easy thats for sure...Do you have anybody to help you pass them out?

3. DBM

DBM LawnSite Member

I'm a solo, wife's looking after my two young kids. I want to lay down 10 000 over the next month, covering the same houses twice - two weeks apart. I think I'm going to say screw it and hop on the bike, after all it's a numbers game.

At this rate it'll take me 200 hours! :rolleyes:

4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

better get some neighborhood kids or family to help that a lot of fliers for 1 person to pass out by themself.

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Message penetration for flyers is simply out of this world, but they are a LOT of work to get out.

Might want to consider hitting each house with one flyer and one mailer. Best of both worlds. I was initially thinking about three mailers for each of 2,500 houses, but it's kinda expensive. I've decided on one flyer and one mailer to each of those 2,500. That I can do.

For what it's worth, I can't do much more than 50 to 60 flyers an hour in this area, either and it IS a pain in the foot. I love the impact of flyers: I hate doing them, though.

6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

ya gotta find the developments with the mailboxes/newpaper boxes right at the curb line.... I've been gettin' lucky... driving mailbox to mailbox with my father hangin' out the passenger window dropping flyers/cards inside the newspaper boxes.... EVERY house has one right at the curb. Was able to distribute close to 500 today in 3 hours or so... probably get ONE call. :sleeping:

not to mention, I almost ripped my fathers arm off a few times by driving away too fast...... ;)

7. Mark McC

That's great except there are no developments around here where the mailboxes are mostly on the curb.

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

That would be great if it wasn't against the law as well.

9. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

If they I dont have a newspaper box I dont deliver. Most people around here have them, I couldnt imagine walking door to door.

10. Mark McC

Well, that's why it's a pain in the arse to do flyers. Still, they're incredibly effective, and when you're trying to build up a new business, you're not always in a position to be picky about how you do it.