Delivery set up for plants

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by green_thumb, Jan 8, 2012.

1. green_thumb

green_thumb LawnSite Member

I run a small landscape business and have an opportunity to start making deliveries for a nursery that I do a lot of business with. They want me to come up with a delivery structure and get back to them in a week. I've made deliveries for them before and this might be a great way to get my name out there more.
    I'm not sure how to go about setting this up. We are so busy during the summer with lawn and landscaping jobs I'm not sure of the best way to set this up. I was thinking about doing deliveries on a certain day only. Let's say Fridays between 7-12. And maybe have 3 deliveries minimum per time so I'm wasting time delivering 1 plant. The nursery will have all the plants set up for pick up by me. I have an open 16' w/ 4' sides trailer with mesh roll over canopy.
    What do people normally charge for deliveries? I'm thinking having a set plan. Like x amount for 5 miles, x amount for 10 mile and so on.
    Any help on this is appreciated as I'm not sure where to start.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. green_thumb

green_thumb LawnSite Member

Anyone deal with this at all??
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure they're going to accept a "Friday 7-12 only" delivery schedule? I'm not sure but to me it already appears to conflict with what you want to do. I don't know of many nurseries, clients or landscapers who are going to want to wait until Friday. (and if landscapers doing installations, leaving a day and a half of labor time)

Just a thought.

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Deliver's around me range out to 50 miles, for a set price/free, and anything after that is $x.xx per mile.

5. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

If your so busy than is this really the best step to take? compare the + & -

6. tnwildcat

tnwildcat LawnSite Member

Losing proposition or Nursery would offer the service.