Dem bone, dem bones...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Nov 17, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Found the following while digging a hole for POC off 4" main line. Every time the backhoe bucket came up seemed that there was a new archeological find. Just glad it appears to be cow or pig and it was about 3' down in a fine white sand layer, similar to flood indication. Don't think I could stand finding a human skull. ;)

GWHS Bones WP-01.jpg
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

And the prize for Best Find on a Sprinkler Job goes to........... Purple Haze!!

I'd love to find some dino bones.
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Actually Dana, I doubt you really mean that. Everytime I've ever seen anyone find anything like that, it shut the whole thing down for a period of time that was long enough to put the schedule in a real wringer. Best advice I know is don't ask what it is and don't tell anyone you might have even possibly found anything. About 20 years ago, the horse farm adjacent to the golf course I worked at for years was sold and became a housing developement project. They hit some buried horses with the second foundation and made the mistake of telling someone. It took them over 9 months to admit it wasn't an old indian site that had been discovered and to allow continued developement. Now imagine having to eat 9 months down time on an entire developement over what was just bury them where they fell horses. This was ground that urban sprall had surounded and was only left intact because the family head refused to "sell out". When he died, the kids couldn't wait to cash in. Several million for a piece of ground that I don't remember being more than around 40 acres. But, thanks to the golf frontage, I think they got almost a quarter mill per lot too.
  4. PurpHaze

I was concerned when the bones started to show up that they might be human and part of a burial ground of ancient natives since the site is along a river. I'm also well aware of the documented "construction finds" all over the world that have slowed down or completely eliminated further construction. I just put the bones in a box and took them in to my manager. Kind of put the onus on him as to whether or not someone should look into them any further.

This area along the river was also reported to have been a dump site at one time for local farmers so who knows what else could be buried there. We come across old bottle parts from time to time and one of our guys collects them. Many are old square bottles that originally had corks. We found one that originally contained "medicinal cocaine" because part of the raised words were still intact.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Hayes, did you hear about the graving yard project that got canned up here in PA?

Indian bones are bad.
  6. PurpHaze

Hadn't heard about that one. I do know that they take priority over everything else though.

Found three more bones today including a rib bone. I'm now pretty convinced the bones are from a cow that was butchered many years ago.

Also churned up an old shotgun shell casing with the trencher.
  7. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

speaking of finds while digging....

This summer I was digging up a Maxi to replace it with a PGP... I found THREE old maxis in that hole... how lazy is that? ...but you better believe I buried a fourth... I want to know what the next guy will do...
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Every now and then, I encounter some stray bits of poly that got buried in the same trench as the actual pipe in use, that make the repair work more difficult. Grrrr.
  9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, what a great idea for a geocaching treasure!
  10. PurpHaze

Pretty darn lazy. I hate guys that don't cart their "trash" off. :D