1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Demand for Payment Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Little Guy, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

I am wondering if anyone has printed a demand for payment in their local newspaper. I have seen it done for Self Storage places buy not our type of business. The one I saw said:

for the sum of $487.00

1 Maple Lane
    Westerly, RI 02932

2359 Main St.
    Westrely, RI 02932

If this is legal, it would help collection of bad clients!
  2. Little Guy

OOPS Spelling error sorry not buy it's (but)
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

never seen one, but looks like a good idea. i think i would call or write the customer first warning them that you're going to do it. maybe they would give in and pay to avoid the embarrassment. only negative i see is that you're name is in there in a negative way. not sure if it would turn other people on to your company
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The reason they do this, is that it is a legal requirement for the to do this. It has to do with the eviction/forfeiture law. The ones that get me are the ones having to do with the divorces. I, John Doe will not be responsible for any further debts put in my name. On and from this date of this date of 12/18/03.
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

The funniest thing like this I ever saw was this summer here in town. A new adult toy / bookstore opened, and within a month or so, they started posting people's full names and the words "Bad Checks" and the amounts on their 4 X 6 lighted sign. I'm sure that gets really quick results, however I do remember seeing a couple's name there for about two weeks...:D
  6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

lol that is great!!! No better payback!
  7. Little Guy

I am sending the Final Notice and 3rd letter out tonight! A Million and a half doller property and they won't pay $582.00 because I dropped them. And I told her she wants to Live like a King and pay like a Pauper!
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the only thing that I can see wrong with this (by just doing it yourself and not doing it through a lawyer) is defamation of character. It might get you into a lot of trouble
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

People that won't or don't pay, that kinda stuff does'nt matter to them they probably laugh right along side everyone else. You gotta play on there level "instead of posting bad check after there name have someone change it to transvestite" instead of the 3rd final notice put a sheet of plywood in the back of your truck and write IMO the person is a dead beat as they won't pay there bills and park in front of there home just make sure to put IMO and keep your truck running that way your stopped not parked then its legal. I love winter as it give me all the time I need to get even with all the ashhole I have to deal withover the yr.
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Mac, a local contractor had a falling out with a local window company , and went and had his trucks lettered with the details of the fallen business deal all over both trucks. Saw them for about two years, then nothing.Pretty funny though, because at first glance, it looked like an ad for the window company.They are now out of business as well.