Demand for this Niche

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lakeridge, Feb 16, 2006.

1. lakeridge

lakeridge LawnSite Member

Hi all, first post here, great site.Ive been lucky enough to have a pretty well paying job for the past 11 years...the problem is that i/m quickly burning out...sitting behind a desk all day is truly sucking my will to live!!! I live in a heavily wooded, rapidly expanding region (lakes area..Minesota) I have aquired some equipment over the years and have done a ton of gratise work (at least 200 hrs/year)for freinds, family, neighbors with a 751 bobcat I used to own. I recently sold the 751 and am planning on buying the s 185 w/cab and heat as well as a stumper and brushmower attachment. I would like to start a part time business with this setup as well as do some light dirt work and grading, Please don't flame, fulltimers as I will be legit w/insurance and will charge going rate.

I guess my question is for the experienced guys...do you run into a lot of opportunities to do "lot grooming" type work, What kind of pitfalls do run into with this lind of work. what are you charging out/ hourly? per acre? If this goes it will be my escape! Thanks for any advice

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

the price per hour depends on your market i know here in st. louis missouri the hourly rate is any where from $55 - $85 . then i would also charge mininum fee no matter what .

3. J&L-lawncare

J&L-lawncare LawnSite Member

If there's alot of new construction going up around your area you will do good. you gotta clear the land to build. And if you are the only Rooster in the
    hen house even better.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Bobcats are a dime a dozen. Good operators are hard to find. That is what you need to sell. J&L is right about the New Construction, another ave. is looking at mid sized Landscape companies. Ones that are doing more excavating type work and yet are still not big enough to buy a cat. Sell them the fact that your time will pay for you to do it over them renting.

No more "gratise" work. Hard to pay the bills that way:)