Deminsion or Barricade?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sglawn, Jan 11, 2005.

1. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

What gets the better result on preventing crabgrass? Deminsion or Barricade?
  2. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I sure hope it's Barricade. I have three pallets of it sitting in my warehouse. I have always had decent results from Deminsion in the past until last year. I spent so much $$$ on Drive and time to respray crabgrass, I decided to pay the extra money for the Barricade if I can get better control.

3. lawnboyCO

lawnboyCO LawnSite Member

all I know is barricade, it works well, you just gotta make sure you put it down at the right time (not too early, not too late), you gotta watch those soil temps (soils gotta be at least 50 degrees) and make sure the customer waters it in real well (about 1/2 inch,within 2 days), gotta get those edges real well
  4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ive been using diminsion for years, much happier with results vs. Prem. Last season I got a few pallets of Barriciade ( didnt want to use it 100% the first year ) I noticed a difference in results, not as good as the diminsion, and the cost was higher. So Im sticking with the dim.
  5. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Why not do a split app.? One in early spring and one late.
  6. lawnboyCO

the soil temps are not at 50 degrees in early spring, plus that would get quite expensive giving all my customers 2 pre-m apps,
  7. lawnboyCO

don't have the label handy right now, but I don't know if you can do apps so close together, never thought about it, you know how crazy spring can get
  8. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

In my area all of the company's do a split app.. We apply 1/2 the max amount of pendimethalin on the first app. in March and last 1/2 on the second app. in April/May. Customers are encouraged to water in the app.
  9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

You and me both! Dimension broke down, especially the late apps. Trying barricade this year.
  10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are early or right on time with your window of opportunity for crabgrass, Barricade would be the best my choice. Barricade does less root pruning on the turf than Dimension, which is obviously a good thing.

Now if you are a bit late on your window, Dimension might be a better choice because it has some post capability on crabgrass. Barricade does not.

The key with the efficacy of any pre-emergent is the right timing, good coverage, proper rate, and watering the product in. Those who have had poor performance with Barricade probably suffered from one of those details.